Windows vs Mac in video editing

Bardebay

Honorable
Dec 8, 2016
Sorry for the question,
The Mac and windows fight here and there.
I am thinking of getting a mac or windows for hard core video editing.is there someone who can tell me which one I could get and what brand?
My budget is 900-1300 USD.
Any brand,MSI,ASUS,MAC,MAC AIR,DELL,any thing

Thanks

Solution

How "good" a computer for video editing is depends on the software and hardware.

Apple has great software, but the hardware options are limited (at your budget) so it's going to take a LOT LONGER to do certain things.

Windows hardware is cheaper, and there is still great software. Possibly "as good" depending on who you ask and what you need it for; certainly I've used a couple and found they worked quite well for my usage on Windows (i.e. Adobe). And of course, if you haven't used OSX you'd have a learning curve navigating Mac anyway.

I linked an MSI laptop already. It's got really high...
Windows, but mainly due to cost.

Apple has some great editing software, however you can build (I'd build not buy... it's easier than you might think) a much more powerful system.

Apple choices are:

Pro ($3000+)
Mini (too small, not upgradeable easily with RAM, multiple drives)
Mac (screen included, might be worth considering)

It depends on how processing and memory intensive what you're doing is but the only thing I can suggest is the iMac.

A 27" however starts at $1800, though again it includes the screen so not sure how that affects your budget. It only has 8GB of system memory though and upgrading gets expensive.

*For fun, I'll "build" a Windows PC (without monitor) for $1300USD (or less) using pcpartpicker.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yY326X

Pretty self-explanatory I guess. I could have even added another SSD, more system memory but that's my recommend for a video editing system you build for about $1300USD.

Highlights:

i7-6700K
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
W10 Pro 64-bit
BluRay Writer
GTX1050Ti 4GB

The GTX1050Ti is for CUDA, but if you want to game it's pretty good.

PSU has an ECO mode to auto-disable fan.

Case is personal preference but make sure it supports DVD/BD (external 5.25"), USB3 front..

Building's not hard and is rewarding. You also get more for your money.

(AMD's 14nm Zen CPU's next year would save a bit of money, or likely give you a CPU that's about 2x as powerful for the same cost. Worth considering waiting for the 8C/16T Zen CPU. Or at least a six-core (6C/12T) depending on pricing.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-zen-release-date-specs-prices-rumours

Still rumor, but if true or close I'd build a video editing rig based on an 8C/16T Zen CPU (AM4 motherboard). Everything else would be the same except the CPU and motherboard.

" The top SR (Summit Ridge, innit?) tier will be the eight-core, 16-thread CPUs, and we're being told to expect the highest clocked version to retail for around $500 with a slightly slower octo-core costing around the $350 mark."

Other:
I thought about one of the 6-core Intel CPU's but the CPU and motherboard cost put me over budget. I could probably do it if I went with the i7-5820K and played around with a few parts but unless you're really interested I'm not going to do anything but suggest that as an option.

*Much of video editing depends on the TOTAL processing power, but sometimes it's drive access speed (so you need to know where to put working files... i.e. on SSD), and sometimes it's the GPU that is most important. So it's all a balancing act to build, but also you need to know how to use the software.

Bardebay

Honorable
Dec 8, 2016

Thanks for the idea,how about laptops?because for me,I travel alot and I think I will need a laptop.I kind of forgot to mention.but thank you,I was also about to post a forum of how to build a PC for video editing.you have any idea for laptops?
Mac or Windows?
Mac is generally expansive,but hey,the more the better,isn't it?
I can expend it to 1500

It depends on how crucial time is for video editing. If it's more casual than most computers are okay if you have a bare minimum of 8GB system memory.

Apple's laptops aren't very powerful, and some throttle the CPU down a lot, but it's all pros and cons i guess. If you want Apple your choices are limited.

Basically the 13", Macbook Pro is $1500 and I can't recommend anything else or it's too expensive.

Basic specs:
2C/4T intel CPU
8GB system memory
256GB SSD

So it's not terribly powerful, but Apple is expensive. Nice software, but expensive hardware.

Windows laptops.
Just a rough idea of price vs specs:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-17-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-natural-silver/5617100.p?skuId=5617100
and
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-aluminum-black/5628800.p?skuId=5628800

The $900 unit still only has a dual-core CPU but it has an NVidia GPU (for CUDA), 16GB system memory, and 17", 1920x1080. It's a lot BIGGER but frankly I wouldn't want to edit on a 13" laptop anyway.

How "good" a computer for video editing is depends on the software and hardware.

Apple has great software, but the hardware options are limited (at your budget) so it's going to take a LOT LONGER to do certain things.

Windows hardware is cheaper, and there is still great software. Possibly "as good" depending on who you ask and what you need it for; certainly I've used a couple and found they worked quite well for my usage on Windows (i.e. Adobe). And of course, if you haven't used OSX you'd have a learning curve navigating Mac anyway.

I linked an MSI laptop already. It's got really high specs.
4C/8T CPU
16GB
GTX1060

You can find cheaper, but I'd get one with a 4-core Intel CPU, Windows 10, and at least a GT900 series GPU.

The GTX1060 is very power efficient though, so it should be fairly quiet under load. Also a good gaming machine.

Solution