Windows vs. MSN Messenger

What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
etc.? Any opinions?
Thanks

Hello :)

I think you are seekingexactly for informations that are in following
article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_03august11.mspx
- from Microsoft. Hopefully it will cover all your questions related to the
subject...

"K.H." wrote:

> What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
> my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
> find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
> v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
> which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
> etc.? Any opinions?
> Thanks

Greetings KH,

There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

In terms of security, they're both secure; so you really don't need to worry about that.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"K.H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
> my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
> find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
> v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
> which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
> etc.? Any opinions?
> Thanks

Alan

Why is it that MS complicates matters like this? I run XP and have
difficulty doing cam conference with those on MSN Messenger.
Now it transpires that the latest MSN Messenger causes problems for Internet
Explorer.
Surely MS can find a way not to cause interactive problems with its own
software.
Alan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Greetings KH,
>
> There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
> Messenger 6 has support for
> display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc.
> whereas Windows Messenger
> supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc.
> Which one you use is up
> to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to
> the public .NET
> Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to
> keep in mind,
> Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN
> Messenger to retain
> full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing,
> etc.).
>
> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
> Profiles, MSN Mobile,
> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
> (Exchange Server,
> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
>
> In terms of security, they're both secure; so you really don't need to
> worry about that.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "K.H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
>> my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
>> find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
>> v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
>> which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
>> etc.? Any opinions?
>> Thanks

We can thank the lawyers for that. Because of all of the lawsuits Microsoft
operates their business units separately. Examples of this are Internet
Explorer and MSN, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office
and Windows XP (desktop operating systems). MSN is a distinctly separate
business unit which actually produces "it's own" browser.

Bob