[SOLVED] Windows will not boot with 32gb of ram

Jan 29, 2019
When I install 32gb (4 x 8) of RAM into my system I am able to boot into the BIOS but windows fails to boot, but I can boot into windows with 16gb or ram (with 2 of the dims removed).

System:
Motherboard: ROG Strix b450-f Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000mz

Solution
Hello cannon1996,

First of all, does the PC boot into Windows with the DOCP off? That means on 2133MHz for each module/stock speeds? On Ryzen it's recommended to use 2 DIMMs instead of 4 as the IMC has some troubles on handling 4 sticks.

Try to test every single one DIMM and check out if the PC can boot to Windows with one DIMM on. If it is then your RAM kits aren't faulty. If it won't boot into windows with any of the 4 sticks then you got a faulty piece. Also check if all of your 4 RAM slots on your motherboard are working (again by adding 1 kit on each position and check if boots into Windows).

If you are able to run a Memtest86 diagnostic or the Windows' dedicated Memtest, would also help you figure out what's going on. (First...
Jun 28, 2018
Hello cannon1996,

First of all, does the PC boot into Windows with the DOCP off? That means on 2133MHz for each module/stock speeds? On Ryzen it's recommended to use 2 DIMMs instead of 4 as the IMC has some troubles on handling 4 sticks.

Try to test every single one DIMM and check out if the PC can boot to Windows with one DIMM on. If it is then your RAM kits aren't faulty. If it won't boot into windows with any of the 4 sticks then you got a faulty piece. Also check if all of your 4 RAM slots on your motherboard are working (again by adding 1 kit on each position and check if boots into Windows).

If you are able to run a Memtest86 diagnostic or the Windows' dedicated Memtest, would also help you figure out what's going on. (First on stock speeds, then on DOCP). Note that there should be no errors mentioned for the stock speeds once you complete the test.

Last but not least, did you mix the RAM kits or are they of the same part number? If you mixed 2x8 and 2x8 of another kit even with the exact same specifications (timings, frequencies) and brand, the different sticks create incompatibility issues. You should return the RAM and get a new separate kit of 32 GBs RAM if you think that you really need 32GBs on your rig.

Kind regards

Solution

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
CMU32GX4M4C3000C15(Ver5.3) CMD32GX4M4C3000C15(Ver5.30) CMR32GX4M4C3000C15 these are the three corsair 32gb ram kits listed on the qvl list 15-17-17-35 timings for all three. Also make sure your bios and agesa are up to date,Agesa really has a lot to do with memory https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/