Question Windows will not install on hard disks GPT partitions

Mar 20, 2019
Hi i am having problems, my alien ware 15 wouldn't boot so i tried start up repair which didn't work.
I also didn't have a restore point but had alien-ware recovery software which i used and this has messed everything up.
My OS win 7 upgraded to 10 is on ssd and i have 1t drive also, ssd was c and 1t was d
They have swapped around now ssd is d and 1t is c this is after alien respawn was done.
I have tried to reinstall windows with a usb and it will not install as it says its gpt petition.
I have tried booting in legacy and UefI.
I have tried bootrec /fixmbr which works, but bootrec /fixboot access denied.

If you're booting windows installation into legacy mode, then you can not install onto GPT disk.
Recreate your windows installation media for UEFI install. Use rufus.

USB-boot-1.png

Mar 3, 2019
Did you install any games or apps recently before you rebooted/shut down the computer?
I had a similar problem recently. I installed an older game, Brother in Arms: Earned in Blood. Upon the next restart Windows couldn't boot and I literally did all of the steps you listed without success. I ended up finding out the game installed Starforce copy protection drivers that are not compatible with Windows 10.
Startup Repair generates a log file which can be found at C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.

Mar 3, 2019
If you have not wiped your drive yet I would try viewing the log file I listed to possibly determine why Windows 10 is not starting as I know how much of a pain reinstalling tons of updates and apps can be. To view mine I made a bootable usb of Ubuntu Mate, a distro of Linux.
If you just want to format and install a fresh copy of Windows 10, do as SkyNetRising said and use GPT with Rufus to make your bootable Windows 10 usb stick, making sure to boot the usb stick in EFI mode instead of legacy.

Mar 20, 2019
Hi it started with when i installed splinter cell caos theory the camera was spinning and i saw a fix online, this was to disable the hid compliant game pad and this then asked for a reboot.
After this all went downhill and alien re spawn has totally caused havoc.
Problem i'm having is i'm in an chevron oil plant in Africa and you cant plug USB sticks into work station pc's for security reasons.
So i'm having to find someone with a personal laptop to get them to download Knoppix for me.
I may have to wait 3 weeks until i get back to UK, be a long 3 weeks without use of laptop though.