windows will not recognize 4 tb hard drive completely

Jun 2, 2018
Hi guys

I'm sort of at my wits end here trying to figure this out.

first things first.. here is my setup

gigabyte h370 Mb
i7 8700
16 gb ram
gtx 1080
Main boot hd- 480gb XPG SX8200
Secondary storage HD (the one im having problems with) Barracuda 4tb
32gb optane module to accelerate secondary hdd
windows 10 64bit

This was all a brand new fresh install from scratch.

I finally got it all configured and installed windows and now here is the issue:

At first the secondary HDD did not show at all in file explorer.

So I checked disk management because it was obviously not set up.

It shows up there as not initialized, so no problem... I set it up as GPT.

Now I can see the disk and it shows up as 3 sections for some reason. 1 system section for about 500mb and it will not let me modify in any way, one 2tb section which it will actually let me format no problem, and one 1.6 tb section which it will not let me do anything with at all.

Any ideas would be welcome... I was thinking of maybe doing a fresh install (again) but removing the secondary hdd until it is all done... then reinstalling it and clearing/ formatting it.

thanks!

-David

Delete all partitions from within disk management and start over...

Possibly, the first part two partitions were MBR (which would explain one small partition for MBR, and, the latter unused space was then done as GPT...)

I'm not sure Optane can be used/linked for/to the secondary storage drive, but, I will assume it can be since that is what you read about, and are doing.

Jun 2, 2018
Thanks for the response.
Yes, optane can now be used for a secondary HDD. It is a new feature.

Disk manager will not allow me to delete or change anything at all except the 2tb of unallocated space.

Every other option is greyed out.

I tried doing it from the command prompt and that would not work either.

Jun 2, 2018
Ok.. I had to go with my original plan of wiping all of the drives and removing the 4tb drive while that takes place.
Strangely the nvme drive was set up as mbr. I converted it and windows installed no problem.

Still working on it.. I will update with the final results. Including how the optane functions with a secondary drive,

TRENDING THREADS