[SOLVED] Windows will not update

HugeHunkHarry

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
So this has been an issue that has been going on for quite awhile with being whenever I start my pc it says windows is installing updates before eventually saying updates failed and then undoing changes/cleanup. I'd say this occurs at least 4 times a week. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to try to fix this or find out what is causing it? Also in the settings the update I have/error is 2020-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4549951) - Error 0x8000ffff

Solution
many causes of that error
old drivers, malware, wrong date & time, corrupted windows store cache, and a few others.

Try running an Anti virus scan

See if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I would suggest a repair install except you are on 1903 and ISO on website is 1909.

You could download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and then while your PC is running, put USB in and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
old drivers, malware, wrong date & time, corrupted windows store cache, and a few others.

See if this helps
right click start button
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I would suggest a repair install except you are on 1903 and ISO on website is 1909.

You could download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and then while your PC is running, put USB in and run setup.exe from file explorer. This will offer to upgrade current PC. It might fix it.

if you upgrade to 1909 using USB and it still happens, we can try a repair install.

Solution

HugeHunkHarry

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
I

See if this helps
right click start button

You could download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and then while your PC is running, put USB in and run setup.exe from file explorer. This will offer to upgrade current PC. It might fix it.

if you upgrade to 1909 using USB and it still happens, we can try a repair install.
I did an Anti Virus scan and everything was fine. When I tried the SFC /scannow however both times I got this:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

And when I tried the Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth I got this:
Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store
cannot be repaired.
At line:1 char:1
  • Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

Is there anything I can do to help or should I go ahead and try the Windows media creation tool?

I would go with the media creation tool. Find a USB stick that is at least 8GB and copy any files from it that you don't need. Using the Media Creation Tool to set up the Windows installer on the USB stick will wipe out any existing files on the stick.

As Colif said, run Setup.exe from the USB stick once the Media Creation Tool is finished, and from there you will be able to upgrade to 1909, repairing the Windows install and those corrupt files the sfc/scannow command found and could not fix.

HugeHunkHarry

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
I would go with the media creation tool. Find a USB stick that is at least 8GB and copy any files from it that you don't need. Using the Media Creation Tool to set up the Windows installer on the USB stick will wipe out any existing files on the stick.

As Colif said, run Setup.exe from the USB stick once the Media Creation Tool is finished, and from there you will be able to upgrade to 1909, repairing the Windows install and those corrupt files the sfc/scannow command found and could not fix.
Just to be certain, is this isn't a complete reinstall of windows, correct? Because I have file that I don't won't wiped.