[SOLVED] Windows won't boot after 9900k upgrade

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Hey all, so I've run into a problem I've never experienced in the 15 years I've been building PCs. I pulled a working 9900k from another system and installed it onto my Asrock Z390 ITX board, which had a 9700k on it. Now Windows won't boot, I'm stuck at the ASRock loading screen. I've unplugged all of my drives except for the M.2 that Windows is installed on. I've gotten into the BIOS and confirmed the 9900k is recognized, and I've also reset BIOS to default. I've also grabbed my Windows 10 boot drive and tried to boot from it for a system repair, but it's still not getting past the ASRock boot screen. Sometimes it says Preparing system repair and then gets frozen there. Does anyone have any ideas here?

Solution
UPDATE: I was going to delete this but maybe someone will run into this through a google search and it will save them some hassle. The ASRock website states that the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac supports the 9900k from BIOS 1.20 (launch version) which is what I was running. I did a simple flash update to P4.40 BIOS and it solved the issue!

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
UPDATE: I was going to delete this but maybe someone will run into this through a google search and it will save them some hassle. The ASRock website states that the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac supports the 9900k from BIOS 1.20 (launch version) which is what I was running. I did a simple flash update to P4.40 BIOS and it solved the issue!

Solution