Windows won't boot after BIOS update.

Vlad__

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Hello!

[strike]So, I've been having a weird problem with my PC (basically it crashed randomly after a hardware upgrade) and I was left with no other options than to do a BIOS update and see if it helps. Worst decision... Now it won't even boot. I noticed that this is somehow related to my HDDs. I have 2: 500gb and a 160gb (which is older).

If I choose the 160gb to boot first, in bios/bootpriority, it will remain stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data...".
If I make the 500gb boot first, I would get the blue screen of death with the message " DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Also, this happens if I completely unplug the 160gb HDD.

Booting in Safe Mode works fine, but the random crashes are still there. The Hard Drives are completely usable after booting, not a single file is missing. Now, I am using a portable Linux to operate it (again, everything works except for the crashes), but it's awful because it does not save any setting and I have to download the software apps needed everytime I open it.
[/strike]

I have identified the cause, but still don't know the problem. :
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3106211/abit-ib9-bios-upgrade.html
Any idea what is to be done? Help is very much appreciated!

Solution
If you're able to boot into window safe mode or successfully boot into a portable version of linux then it's doubtful your bios is the problem. The bios is responsible for getting the pc initialized and then the os takes over. Safe mode/linux being fine sounds like an os 'can' run fine. The issue right now is your current windows install (full load, not safe mode) is not; so windows may have corrupt files or drivers.

I would suggest backing up any files from whichever drive you're using for your os and format the drive and reinstall windows, start over fresh. When it comes to boot priority, the drive with your os on it needs to boot first. Aka if one drive is windows and program files and the other hdd is just file storage, make the os priority over the file storage drive. If your storage drive has no os on it, only files, and the pc tries to boot from that first it won't work since there's no os to boot.

Optical drives are a bit different, they can be first in the boot order. When attempting to boot, the pc will check the optical drive and if no boot files are found (such as an install disc) it will continue to the hdd's. Once it goes to an hdd and there are no boot files, it won't continue checking the rest of the hdd's for an os it will just stop with an error.

Vlad__

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

Thank you for your answer! I will try right away and see how it goes.

Vlad__

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

Well, it took me a while because I was not able to install any OS without getting a Blue Screen Of Death. A downgrade to the initial BIOS version did it for me. Followed by a clean install, the PC booted just fine. Except now it freezes randomly and I don't know why...

Solution