Question Windows wont boot after BSOD

Oct 15, 2020
Recently I had a BSOD out of nowhere with a HYPERVISOR_ERROR error code. I let my PC restart but after the restart it wouldn't even get past the manufacturer's logo at all, crashing and restarting as soon as it tried to boot to windows. I'm no hardware expert, but I've tried taking advice from other posts.

My Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI Ventus 2060s 8gb VRAM
2x8gb G-SKILL Ripjaws DDR4
EVGA 600 80+ PSU'
ASUS TUF B550-PLUS mobo

So far, i've tried enabling/disabling SVM virtualization, which didn't work. I tried booting from a USB flash of windows, but it still wouldn't boot, even though I believe it was accessing the USB. I'm pretty lost right now, so I could use some help to get my PC up and running again.

Oct 15, 2020
try safe mode?

Don't know if it even is possible at this point. When I try starting my computer, it goes to the manufacturer logo of TUF gaming, moves to automatic repair, and a few seconds later literally a millisecond after you see the spinning circle of dots indicating windows is even trying to load it restarts, so I can't do anything on the windows side. I think it's in a boot loop or something. Any other ideas?

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
act with steps

first, disconnect all of your hard drives, all usb drives

try to boot, confirm it POST

then switch off the pc, plug only the USB drive with windows install. does it run ? then switch off the pc

if yes, plug an hard drive. best is to use a blank or unused hard drive. try to format it with the windows installer. confirm it boots afterwards.

then plug another hard drive to move your files etc

good call on trying to play with the svm in the bios
on AMD boards there is also a setting called "IOMMU", you may try to disable or enable this too.
yet this "hypervisor error" is unheard off on a home pc. did you activated HyperV ? usually it's used on servers for managing Virtual Machines. But the feature is here in win10 pro too. just inactive by default

medium

Oct 15, 2020
act with steps

then switch off the pc, plug only the USB drive with windows install. does it run ? then switch off the pc

if yes, plug an hard drive. best is to use a blank or unused hard drive. try to format it with the windows installer. confirm it boots afterwards.

on AMD boards there is also a setting called "IOMMU", you may try to disable or enable this too.
yet this "hypervisor error" is unheard off on a home pc. did you activated HyperV ? usually it's used on servers for managing Virtual Machines. But the feature is here in win10 pro too. just inactive by default

medium

Thank you for the response! I'll try the steps in order, but before that, I usually log on to RDPs and use Windows Sandbox sometimes, therefore I probably turned on Hyper V or something related to that. I'll try what you said in order and get back to you ASAP

Oct 15, 2020
act with steps

medium

Hello, instead of detaching my NVMe which I had windows installed on, I simply disabled it from booting from anything but my USB. However, it still did not boot, opting instead to crash after a few seconds, not loading anything. Not sure about this, but I'm guessing its probably not an issue with my SSD/HDD/USB. Anything else I can do since I cannot confirm the USB even loads the windows installation?

Oct 15, 2020
act with steps

medium

Sorry for the overdue response, I've tried booting with nothing on, I think it POSTed successfully. Plugged in a USB with no SSD or HDD in and it failed.
check the cpu temp in bios?
test with 1 stick of ram?

Temps are ~40 to ~50, still the same restart after boot with 1 stick of ram