[SOLVED] Windows Won't Boot After CPU/Mobo Upgrade

Nov 30, 2019
Hello, please direct me to the correct forum if this is in the wrong place.

I recently upgraded my ASUS PRIME B250M-A motherboard and i5-7500 Kaby Lake CPU to an ASUS PRIME Z390-A and i7-9700K Coffee Lake CPU and after powering on the PC and exiting the BIOS, nothing happens. I expected the Windows logo to appear but the system seems to hang on a black screen.

I hadn't done much research beforehand, and I'm not sure whether the issue has something to do with reinstalling Windows or not.

Solution
Assuming all the hardware works and is connected properly, the presence of a new motherboard and CPU often/usually requires a new OS install.

From some working machine, create a Win 10 install USB, and see if the thing actually boots up correctly with that.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If it does, then the hardware is functional.
You then just need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming all the hardware works and is connected properly, the presence of a new motherboard and CPU often/usually requires a new OS install.

From some working machine, create a Win 10 install USB, and see if the thing actually boots up correctly with that.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Additionally, your BIOS needs to be version 1005 or later

Nov 30, 2019

Hi USAFRet, thank you for the swift response.

From the information you've provided, my intention is to download the newest version of my BIOS and flash to that version, and then I will try to boot from a Windows 10 install USB. Cliche question but will my files and documents that live in the same HDD as Windows 10 be deleted after performing reinstallation? Unfortunately I did not make back-ups of these files before installing the new hardware components and would prefer to avoid dismounting/mounting the old hardware if possible.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi USAFRet, thank you for the swift response.

From the information you've provided, my intention is to download the newest version of my BIOS and flash to that version, and then I will try to boot from a Windows 10 install USB. Cliche question but will my files and documents that live in the same HDD as Windows 10 be deleted after performing reinstallation? Unfortunately I did not make back-ups of these files before installing the new hardware components and would prefer to avoid dismounting/mounting the old hardware if possible.
Right now, we're just trying to validate the hardware actually works.
Not a reinstall. Yet.

But that reinstall may be required.
This why:
  1. You always always always have known good backups. No matter what you're doing with the system.
  2. When doing a major hardware upgrade, you prepare for this by having a good backup of at the very least, you critical personal files.

Nov 30, 2019
I've both updated my BIOS to the latest version and used a Windows 10 install USB to boot. It seems like it is booting properly, as it is prompting me to either repair or install Windows 10 in the Windows Setup.

Oct 16, 2019
I have used windows 10 64bit (installed on SSD, a cheap 256GB SSD to be more precise) to several different computers and it has booted windows on all, log in and do whatever i need to do in a different motherboard (tried on gigabyte and msi mobos) with different CPUs, graphics cards and components. Windows 10 is like the universal OS for any configuration and will auto install any required drivers in matter of minutes.
What i would suggest you to do is try the mobos display output in any case, or re-check the bios settings about whether it is set which graphics to use. If none of that works, you can always make a fresh windows install while keeping the old files in a separate folder. By doing that it will not affect your new OS in any way, but you will not lose any files, and you can always check the previous programs installed in the C>Program files folder

USAFRet

Titan
I have used windows 10 64bit (installed on SSD, a cheap 256GB SSD to be more precise) to several different computers and it has booted windows on all, log in and do whatever i need to do in a different motherboard (tried on gigabyte and msi mobos) with different CPUs, graphics cards and components. Windows 10 is like the universal OS for any configuration and will auto install any required drivers in matter of minutes.
What i would suggest you to do is try the mobos display output in any case, or re-check the bios settings about whether it is set which graphics to use. If none of that works, you can always make a fresh windows install while keeping the old files in a separate folder. By doing that it will not affect your new OS in any way, but you will not lose any files, and you can always check the previous programs installed in the C>Program files folder
And many people, myself included, have seen that fail completely.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, sometimes it sort of works.

Sorry, but Windows is NOT simply plug and play. We all wish it were, but it is not.
Win 10 is lots better than previous versions, but nowhere near 100%.

Oct 16, 2019
And many people, myself included, have seen that fail completely.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, sometimes it sort of works.

Sorry, but Windows is NOT simply plug and play. We all wish it were, but it is not.
Win 10 is lots better than previous versions, but nowhere near 100%.
No one said it is 100% perfect, and well it actually is plug and play considering all the compatibilities with almost any hardware.
Also, my main suggestion wasnt doing what i am doing, but i am unaware if you got to the part when i am suggesting something?
All due respect, you are a moderator, so shouldnt you be reading what is suggested instead of rushing to conclusions about what is being said?

Oct 16, 2019
Civility is a requirement for all members.
"Windows 10 is like the universal OS for any configuration and will auto install any required drivers in matter of minutes. "

And elsewhere, you recommend:
"I would also suggest to always do a fresh install. "
Dude, first you need to start reading the entire reply, then you would start making conclusions about what is being said and what is being suggested.
I am not making an argument, this post is about something else, an actual person asking for help. BUT what YOU are doing is making a joke out of the people's troubles by talking about something you didn't even understand properly.
That's all i am gonna say and stop replying to you, i am just trying to help the people the best way i can.

Nov 30, 2019
Just to follow up, I was able to successfully reinstall Windows on my machine. Fortunately I was able to perform a workaround that allowed me to retain my original files on the same hard drive, but I will definitely be making a backup for the future. Thank you for all your help!