Question Windows wont boot after CPU upgrade, but will via the BIOS

Feb 25, 2019
Spec:
B250 PLUS
Windows 10
i7 6700k
2400mhz 16gb RAM
GTX 1060 6GB

So today I have upgraded my CPU from an i3 7100 to an i7 6700k.

I turn on the PC, fans all start up, but I am getting no picture to the screen and my keyboard is not lit up.

If i hold town the power button, and turn the PC off, it all shuts done. I turn on the PC again and it kicks into life but straight away says its gone into safe mode as I have forced the system to turn off. It wants me to run F1 SETUP.. I enter the bios.....and I can get windows to load if I "discard changed & exit". However if I click on "saves changes & reset" it again goes back to not booting windows and I get the black screen.

BIOS is totally upto date. PC runs fine when I get into Windows. So why is it, that when I turn on the PC is just does not kick into life, and every time I need to hold down the power button, get it into safe mode and then I can get Windows to load?

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

If you are able to get into Safe Mode, go to Device Manager and remove the all CPUs listed.
Shutdown unplug the power cord, press the power button for 15-20 seconds, then remove the CMOS battery.
Wait a couple of minutes and insert the CMOS battery back.
Plug the power cord, press the power button and enter the BIOS.
Make any necessary changes (e.g. time, boot order, etc), save and reboot.

Feb 25, 2019
Thank you. I am unable to access safe mode as it wants to restart the PC which means that it just will not boot into Windows Safe Mode or normal mode, and I get the black screen. Any ideas?

Feb 25, 2019
It appears to have made no difference. I removed about 7 CPUs from the device manager, but having entered the BIOS, changed the settings and done a reboot, its stil got the black screen.