Windows wont boot after Disk Cleanup

Donovan_7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
I did a disk cleanup on my SSD last night, which had windows 7 installed on it. When the options came up on what to delete, i selected "temporary files" as that had 24gb. It ran fine after the cleanup, but when i booted up this morning it didnt load past the Bios screen. It tried to do a System Repair from the SSD, it didnt fix anything.

I put my windows 7 disc in and tried to system repair it 10+ times from the disc with no luck. I had no system restore points or anything either. will i need to reinstall windows?

I just cant figure out what to do.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Your Boot Manager is damaged, so it either needs to be repaired via Startup Repair or replaced with a reinstallation of the OS. If you ran Startup Repair and it didn't work, then you'll need to reinstall the OS.

Recommend backing up your system with a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback Rx, Comodo Time Machine) before you run any disk cleaning utilities as they can restore your system without a re-installation of Windows.

Donovan_7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016

I have a HDD with all my games, photos, project files for Adobe etc on it, the SSD basically just has Windows and a few main programs installed. Will reinstalling Windows on the SSD leave my other drive untouched and able to be used just as before?

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

If you have your OS on a separate drive it won't affect your data drive.