Status
Not open for further replies.

0Dunxter0

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
The following error has been preventing me from updating Windows 10 through Windows Update for quite some time (maybe a year or so): "Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware".

I finally decided to give it a go and try solving it, and to do so, I used the MBR2GPT tool in order to turn my MBR system (HHD) disk into a GPT one.

Before this, though (in the same windows session, without rebooting), I also deleted a 61GB extended partition and a 3,9GB logical partition (which I wasn't aware that existed, probably residual from my old Ubuntu or Windows 8.1 installations) since I was aware that the MBR2GPT tool could fail if there were more than 3 primary partitions or any type of extended or logical partition. I then used the unallocated space to create another primary partition (since I couldn't expand the main one, for some reason), in order to make use of that previous unused space. If you need them, I have some screenshots of Diskpart and Disk Administrator before touching the partitions.

Anyway, after messing with the partitions and with the MBR2GPT tool I rebooted the PC, and now I'm stuck at a BSOD telling me that \windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or contains errors (error code 0xc000000e).

In this screen I'm unable to enter Startup Settings through F8 (a brief flash occurs and I'm back at this screen), and when I try to enter WinRE through F1 I get another BSOD with the following error: "The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system" (the file being \BCD now and the error code 0xc0000098).

BIOS is in UEFI mode and Safe Boot is disabled. I've also created a bootable installation media in a flash USB and tried several methods such as:
  • Checking that the UEFI partition is in the GPT disk
  • Disk Checker tool
  • Startup Repair
  • Disconnecting my non-system drive (C:, a SSD)
  • "bcdboot D(my system drive):\Windows"
  • "bootrec /fixmbr"
  • "bootrec /fixboot"
    • In which I got "access is denied". I got around it using "bootsect/nt60 sys", but the error still persists.
  • "bootrec /scanos" and "bootrec /rebuildbcd"
    • Both of them returned that there were 0 windows installations detected. I still haven't found my way around this.
  • Some solutions using the "d:\Windows /s <boot letter>: /f UEFI" command such as these:
My windows compilation is 18363 and I've made a disk and image backup of my system disk through AOMEI Backupper before messing with the partitions and disk style.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Boot from Windows installation media into command prompt mode.
Execute these and show command output
(upload screenshot to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
If you have more than one disk, then also list partitions of remaining disks
select disk 1
list partition
select disk 2
list partition
...​

0Dunxter0

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
Boot from Windows installation media into command prompt mode.
Execute these and show command output
(upload screenshot to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
If you have more than one disk, then also list partitions of remaining disks
select disk 1
list partition
select disk 2
list partition
...​

Here you go. As you can see, the system is in disk D:

Also, it's in spanish. I've tried to change the language through the media but it's not possible (I would need to create another one).

0Dunxter0

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
Okay, I've managed to solve it. Apparently I had two Windows Boot Managers on my HHD Drive (the both of them named equally: "Windows Boot Manager (SATA2: WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB9)". I only had to select the second one through the BIOS/UEFI Boot Options. Now my Windows is booting perfectly.

Sep 21, 2023
Okay, I've managed to solve it. Apparently I had two Windows Boot Managers on my HHD Drive (the both of them named equally: "Windows Boot Manager (SATA2: WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB9)". I only had to select the second one through the BIOS/UEFI Boot Options. Now my Windows is booting perfectly.
Dude you are a life saver, I went trough so much things trying to fix BCD, partitions and whatnot, but after exausting all my options I ended up in your answer and it was as simple as that, 2 equal options in the boot order, I selected the second one as you said and disabled the others and boom. Thank you. I'm lefting some keywords for someone that may go through this.

mbr2gpt, 0xc000000e, recovery, windows 10, bcd, bcdedit, bcdboot, winload.efi, missing or contain errors

Reactions: 0Dunxter0

0Dunxter0

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
Dude you are a life saver, I went trough so much things trying to fix BCD, partitions and whatnot, but after exausting all my options I ended up in your answer and it was as simple as that, 2 equal options in the boot order, I selected the second one as you said and disabled the others and boom. Thank you. I'm lefting some keywords for someone that may go through this.

mbr2gpt, 0xc000000e, recovery, windows 10, bcd, bcdedit, bcdboot, winload.efi, missing or contain errors
I'm glad to hear that! It was a pain to deal with this only to find the solution was as simple as that haha

Status
Not open for further replies.