[SOLVED] Windows won't boot from cloned NVME drive, Source disk is Sata SSD. Source disk boots fine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi,

I used acronis true image that came with my kingston a2000 nvme drive.
I used it to clone, using the automatic mode, my crucial mx500 boot drive.
The clone operation was successful and my computer shutdown.
I took out all the drives except the nvme but it says "no bootable device found"
Why is this happening?
Is there anyway to fix it?
I'm able to boot fine using my original source disk,
The nvme drive is visible in disk management, as is in boot options in the uefi but it wont boot
https://ibb.co/QC90XbQ
https://ibb.co/JFPRcPz
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you :)

Solution
If you're going to redo the clone instead of the above commandline procedure:

In Macrium, you can clone from multiple drives at once.
From the 2TB, drag that 99MB partition to the target first.
Then, the other partitions from your current C drive.
Also, you can manipulate the size of the target partition, to include all that otherwise blank space.

By default, the target partition is the same size as the source. No matter what the actual drive size is. THis will leave a large blank unallocated partition.

On the Target, click on "Cloned Partition Properties". The will allow you to stretch the C on the Target to use the whole remainder of the drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, i just checked the details of the partition and the assigned letter is in fact C: but its stuck in a bootloop. The spinning wheel comes and then the computer restarts.
EDIT:- I removed all the usb devices connected to it and started it again and voila, it booted up. However despite the drive being nvme its still booting up in the same time as my previous ssd, thats a shame, oh well atleast i have more storage now :) thank you for the help!
"boot time" is a poor measurement of different SSD drive types.
Once you leave the HDD world, we're chasing diminishing returns.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
"boot time" is a poor measurement of different SSD drive types.
Once you leave the HDD world, we're chasing diminishing returns.
Ok :) so i just realised that i didnt extend my volume and the unallocated space was not on an adjacent partition, so i just got easeus partition master to extend the volume. Everything looks fine right now. Will connect just my 2tb storage drive (the one that contained the EFI partition) and see if it boots fine. It should be safe to delete the efi on the 2tb right?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok :) so i just realised that i didnt extend my volume and the unallocated space was not on an adjacent partition, so i just got easeus partition master to extend the volume. Everything looks fine right now. Will connect just my 2tb storage drive (the one that contained the EFI partition) and see if it boots fine. It should be safe to delete the efi on the 2tb right?
Yes.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Also, you can manipulate the size of the target partition, to include all that otherwise blank space.

By default, the target partition is the same size as the source. No matter what the actual drive size is. THis will leave a large blank unallocated partition.

On the Target, click on "Cloned Partition Properties". The will allow you to stretch the C on the Target to use the whole remainder of the drive.

To anyone facing a similar problem the following are the exact steps I undertook:

1. Download and Install Macrium Reflect Free

2. Opened it up and selected the E: Drive
(my 2TB Storage Drive) as the drive to be cloned, this I had to do purely because it contained the EFI Partition that was required to boot.

3. As it is not possible to copy multiple partitions from different devices to the singular SSD i had to copy to, I dragged only the EFI Partition (I had two other partitions on the E Drive which remained unchecked, make sure they are unchecked) down to the grey area of my SSD (I used diskpart to delete all partitions on my new nvme SSD so that all the space remained Unallocated). And proceeded with the clone (You click continue, then it makes an XML File, then it proceeds with the cloning operation). This took just a few seconds as only the EFI Partition of 99 MB was cloned, leaving my new SSD (1 tb NVME, actual use is 931 gb) with 931 GB Free space.

4. I then proceeded to drag down all the partitions one by one from my main drive (a 500 GB Crucial SSD having partitions say A, B, C), making sure they came in after the EFI Partition.
So if the EFI partition was Partition 1 on the nvme drive, the partitions A, B and C on the 500 gb SSD became Parition 2, 3 and 4 respectively on the nvme

5. I shut down the computer. Unplugged all drives except leaving the nvme drive as the only drive in the system.

6. I powered the system on.

However the system would not boot, it would show the spinning windows dots logo and then reboot. So I turned the system off.

7. I read somewhere about trying to unplug all usb devices including keyboard and mouse. so I Unplugged all usb devices including keyboard and mouse and powered the computer on.

8. The computer this time booted fine and reached the lockscreen. I reconnected my Mouse and Keyboard and checked that all my files were there all my apps had installed and everything was just the way I left it on my old SSD. Even chrome opened the tabs I had closed on the other SSD. I also reconnected all my other USB peripherals, that I had disconnected earlier, now (this included a drawing tablet and a soundcard)

9. I found that in moving the partitions from the old SSD to the new NVME, I had one partition of 488 GB and 453 GB unallocated space, this space however was not adjacent to my C drive, so disk management could not extend my C drive to utilize it. For this I got Easus Parititon Master and used it to join the C drive and the unallocated space to have a c drive that was 931 GB big. Note:- If you follow USAFret's suggestion of
"On the Target, click on "Cloned Partition Properties". The will allow you to stretch the C on the Target to use the whole remainder of the drive. "
this will not happen, it happened to me because I did not follow his instructions.

10. I shutdown the system and reconnected the 2 TB hdd. I restarted the computer and all was fine, my C drive is now 930 GB big with 453 GB free (instead of the earlier 488 gb big with 10 gb free :D) and the 2 TB HDD shows up just fine as well

Last edited: