Windows wont boot from SSD

Lemon12345

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
I installed my new SSD and cloned my HDD onto it and put it first in the boot order in BIOS.

When I boot up my PC it doesn't boot from the SSD and if I completely disconnect the HDD it just comes up with a message saying "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Solution

You can create a bootlable USB stick off of it. The USB must have at least 4gb of space and there must be an option to create the USB instead of a DVD.

Lemon12345

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Literally every guide I've ever seen has just cloned the HDD.

And it isn't AHCI.

notlim981

Distinguished
First and foremost, backup your data before making any changes to your disks. After having your backup done, change the SATA type to AHCI in the BIOS as both SSD and Windows 10 are better optimized for it. Then perform a clean install on to the SSD as the proper MBR must be created and cloning not always do that, saying from own experience.

Lemon12345

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Okay. Now it just goes to bluescreen or startup repair and my entire boot order is just blank.

notlim981

Distinguished

Make a bootable USB stick using the Windows Creation Tool linked below and perform a clean install on the SSD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Lemon12345

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Do you have one for windows 7?

notlim981

Distinguished

You can find it here, however this requires the product key:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Lemon12345

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Can I just use the product key that I originally used 4 years ago?

Also, should I format my SSD before I do this?

notlim981

Distinguished

Yes you can use the same key as long as it's legit. The installation process will format and make everything for you, you don't need to worry about that.

notlim981

Distinguished

You can create a bootlable USB stick off of it. The USB must have at least 4gb of space and there must be an option to create the USB instead of a DVD.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS