[SOLVED] Windows won't boot with overclock above 5Ghz

Jun 10, 2021
I have a i7 8086k running at 5Ghz, but as soon as I go up to 5.2 my computer just won't get into windows.

But here's the weird part, the computer is not crashing, it's not giving me a BSOD, it just keeps showing the BIOS screen over and over again, then the screen goes black and I have to hold the power button to reset. What's going on?

motherboard aorus z370m
windows 10

Last edited:
Solution
I have a i7 8086k running at 5Ghz, but as soon as I go up to 5.2 my computer just won't get into windows.

But here's the weird part, the computer is not crashing, it's not giving me a BSOD, it just keeps showing the BIOS screen over and over again, then the screen goes black and I have to hold the power button to reset. What's going on?

motherboard aorus z370m
windows 10
The symptoms of a failed overclock aren't necessarily the same from case to case. What's going on is you have a failed overclock. Take your overclock back to 5Ghz if you can. If you can't get into the BIOS, then do a clear CMOS first.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

If you are attempting to or trying to run some unsupported hardware or hardware configuration then the results may be "weird".

The motherboard's User Guide/Manual will list supported configurations. And often refer end users to the manufacturer's website for updated/detailed information.

motherboard aorus z370m
windows 10
What's going on is you're overclocking. No one guarantees it will work, and when it does work it only does until it doesn't. It looks like it doesn't for you, at 5.2Ghz.

Last edited:

motherboard aorus z370m
windows 10

The post seem to assume that every 8086K had or 'should have' at least a couple of hundred extra MHz OC room to spare...

I doubt that the 8086K had that much to spare, truth be told. A 200 MHz increment is quite large when you are at/near the top of a particular generation of CPU's speed capabilities, especially going over 5 GHz.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Try reverting to the stock clocks and see if it still gets stuck at the BIOS screen. When you have a problem with an overclocked system, the first thing you should do is roll back the overclock so you'll know if it's the overclock causing the issue, or something else. All Intel guarantees when you buy a 'K' processor, is that the multiplier will be unlocked. They don't guarantee that it will be overclockable. In fact, they don't recommend it in the documentation.

motherboard aorus z370m
windows 10
The symptoms of a failed overclock aren't necessarily the same from case to case. What's going on is you have a failed overclock. Take your overclock back to 5Ghz if you can. If you can't get into the BIOS, then do a clear CMOS first.

Solution