[SOLVED] Windows won't boot

Mar 24, 2023
Hello,
the other day while I was playing on my PC , suddently the game froze and I started hearing a sound (the one which the game game was playing at that moment) repeatedly and very fast, so I shut the PC off pressing the OFF button for several seconds.

After that, I'm not anymore able to access Windows.
I can access the BIOS and the system detects all the components correctly; but every time I try to boot Windows, the loading circle stops and either I shut down the PC or a BSOD appears (I got many different BSOD with many different error codes, such as: system_thread_exception_not_handled, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, clock_watchdog_timeout and others).

I tried to install a clean SSD and boot Windows from a USB key but that didn't work either so I think it's safe to assume I got an hardware problem.
I tried keeping only 1 RAM stick at a time but that didn't fix the issue.

In your opinion should I look for a RAM, MOBO or CPU replacement? Or else?

PS: I also reset CMOS but that didn't work.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello,
the other day while I was playing on my PC , suddently the game froze and I started hearing a sound (the one which the game game was playing at that moment) repeatedly and very fast, so I shut the PC off pressing the OFF button for several seconds.

After that, I'm not anymore able to access Windows.
I can access the BIOS and the system detects all the components correctly; but every time I try to boot Windows, the loading circle stops and either I shut down the PC or a BSOD appears (I got many different BSOD with many different error codes, such as: system_thread_exception_not_handled, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, clock_watchdog_timeout and others).

I tried to install a clean SSD and boot Windows from a USB key but that didn't work either so I think it's safe to assume I got an hardware problem.
I tried keeping only 1 RAM stick at a time but that didn't fix the issue.

In your opinion should I look for a RAM, MOBO or CPU replacement? Or else?

PS: I also reset CMOS but that didn't work.
If your CPU has integrated graphics, try removing the GPU and booting with only the CPU and a stick of RAM. What are your system specs? To me, it sounds like a power supply issue.

Last edited:

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
........................so I shut the PC off pressing the OFF button for several seconds..................After that, I'm not anymore able to access Windows.

That's a common problem and is usually caused by file corruption. A disk check is usually all that's required to fix it.

Is it too late now for you to do any of that? If it's not then start the PC with your Windows USB, choose "Repair your computer" (bottom-left) at the Install Windows screen, go into a Command Prompt window and run: chkdsk /f

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023
If your CPU has integrated graphics, try removing the GPU and booting with only the CPU and a stick of RAM. What are your system specs? To me, it sounds like a power supply issue.

I tried that but nothing new happened.

That's a common problem and is usually caused by file corruption. A disk check is usually all that's required to fix it.

Is it too late now for you to do any of that? If it's not then start the PC with your Windows USB, choose "Repair your computer" (bottom-left) at the Install Windows screen, go into a Command Prompt window and run: chkdsk /f

Just like when I boot from the SSD, also from the USB I get to the Windows loading screen, but then it freezes and I have to shut down the PC.

Mar 24, 2023
Are you sure the PC's actually booting from the USB?

I'd be very surprised if just turning the PC off abruptly like that would cause a serious problem.
Yes, I even replaced the SSD with a total blank one, so I'm sure about that.

I don't know if the problem is the fact that I turned it off or if some hardware piece fried before I could turn it off :(

Mar 24, 2023
Ah, I see your point.

You could start by checking your RAM for problems using something like a bootable MemTest64 USB.
Ok I did that, it passed the first round of test without any errors.
Somewhere in the second or third pass, however, the PC shut down and kept turning on and off repeatedly.

I managed to make the test restart, but now every time I start it, the PC shuts down at the end of Test#1 :(

Ok I did that, it passed the first round of test without any errors.
Somewhere in the second or third pass, however, the PC shut down and kept turning on and off repeatedly.

I managed to make the test restart, but now every time I start it, the PC shuts down at the end of Test#1 :(
Are you able to enter the BIOS and see the CPU temp?
Try again with only 1 stick of RAM. Be sure to test BOTH sticks separately.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech