[SOLVED] Windows won't format Secondary HDD?

Sep 19, 2020
So I don't really understand what is going on with my PC, but I'm just going through hard drives, cleaning them up, and formatting them just to get whatever crappy data is on there wiped.

However when I tried to format a HDD a couple weeks ago it came of with the following message "Windows was unable to complete the formatting". I thought maybe the HDD was the issue, however I recently just tried formatting another HDD and the same message popped up, so now I know it is my PC and not the HDD.

So i'm not really sure what to do, I have tried all types of ways after googling including all the different ways of formatting etc. but still no difference.

I did just get another cheap motherboard out in by a PC place, however these are secondary HDDs and I don't see why that would have an effect on them?

Thanks for future replies.

Solution
You might want to grab an external HDD USB driven dock to have the HDD's formatted. Often times plugging the HDD to the system the conventional way, does lead to issues whereby they can't be formatted or maybe they are being assigned a partition by the OS.

Did you source another motherboard? If so, you're advised to reinstall your OS once you swap motherboards in a system.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to grab an external HDD USB driven dock to have the HDD's formatted. Often times plugging the HDD to the system the conventional way, does lead to issues whereby they can't be formatted or maybe they are being assigned a partition by the OS.

Did you source another motherboard? If so, you're advised to reinstall your OS once you swap motherboards in a system.

Solution