Question Windows won't install on new m.2 ssd on my laptop

mahmoud2013828

Commendable
Jan 27, 2019
Hi, So I just bought a new team group ms30 256gb m.2 SSD for my Asus rog gl552vx laptop. And I wanted to install win 10 on it. So I put the SSD and removed the existing HDD just to be save, and now the laptop only has a 256gb SSD.

I then put my USB drive which has win 10 1909 and went through with the installation and the installation recognized the SSD.
The bios of the laptop is UEFI and the SSD is GPT drive. The installation process goes fine until it finishes up and says that it needs to restarts and here is the PROBLEM
The installation process does not continue and here what happens

• The laptop takes me back to the beginning of the installation window as if nothing happened
  • I get "select a proper boot device" window
  • I get a black screen and nothing happens
  • I got "getting windows ready" one time and then nothing black screen afterward.

I have been in this cycle since yesterday.
I did manage to boot into windows one time but after I shut down and reboot again the same things happen "select proper device" and sometimes blue screen that says
"Kernal missing", "specific device has no access" and sometimes when I press enter it goes to windows but the laptop is very slow although I'm running on SSD.

So I don't know what else to do, I did clean installation many times and I did clean the SSD before that using
diskpart, but the installation works and then restarts and nothing happens

So could you please help me, I have read numerous threads with no solution

Thank you

Two things. Make sure you have the MS Media Creator make your Windows 10 USB installer. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ Also, make sure there are no other drivers USB/ssd/hdd attached when you do the install and remove the USB installer when you do the final reboot. Keep in mind that your PC may try and boot off an attached USB drive, even if it has no boot files, resulting in the errors similar to what you are seeing.

mahmoud2013828

Commendable
Jan 27, 2019
Two things. Make sure you have the MS Media Creator make your Windows 10 USB installer. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ Also, make sure there are no other drivers USB/ssd/hdd attached when you do the install and remove the USB installer when you do the final reboot. Keep in mind that your PC may try and boot off an attached USB drive, even if it has no boot files, resulting in the errors similar to what you are seeing.
I have made two USBs, one with windows media creation tool and one with Rufus and the problem is still there.
The laptop has only 256gb SSD and the USB stick and I once removed the USB after the final reboot as you said, but I get "select a proper boot device" once, or a blue screen with various errors.

I tried to remove the SSD and install my HDD and tried to install windows and the process went fine and I booted just fine. I suspected that the SSD might be faulty, so I put it in my main PC and everything seems good in terms of health and speeds.

So I don't know what causes this issue, there is something that prevents the laptop from using the m.2 SSD as a boot drive, and I don't know why because it's a SATA 3 SSD 2280, not NVME even so I'm really confused and don't know what else to do

mahmoud2013828

Commendable
Jan 27, 2019
I took out the SSD and put it in my main PC and tried to install windows and it installed fine and booted successfully, I then took it out and put it back in my laptop but the same thing the laptop can't identify it as a boot drive. Do you have an idea if there something wrong with GL552 models from Asus not accepting m.2 SSD as boot drive?

mahmoud2013828

Commendable
Jan 27, 2019
For anyone having the same problem, I ended up putting it into my PC and took my regular mx300 SSD from my PC and put it in the laptop. Apparently only specific types of m.2 works on this laptop, but unfortunately I didn't know that