Windows won't load, have a blackscreen with blinking underscore + mouse & keyboard not working

quattrov

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Hey,

I have this problem since yesterday. The day before I turned off my PC (might have turned it off by switching the switch on PSU, not sure) and unplugged all the cables and devices. Yesterday I plugged all back in, turn on the PC, but it won't load Windows, there is just black screen with blinking underscore (see youtube /watch?v=igKVOJmhOGA ). I can get in BIOS, but after like 3-5sec my keyboard and mouse stop working (it looks like they are working, but PC won't react).

I tried:
-remove all components, clean it up and put it back in (no changes)
-reset BIOS/clean CMOS (after I turn the PC back on, it will say BIOS was reset etc. and let me choose if I want to load default/optimized settings. If I won't choose fast enough, mouse and keyboard won't work again, if I choose fast enough, It will stuck on the mobo manufacturer logo screen or do the same thing with blinking underscore)
-remove the RAM sticks and try it one by one in slot 1 (no changes)

When I put in my old CPU, it goes thru the underscore blinking stage, but somethimes there is just a blackscreen, somethimes it loads "Preparing Automatic Repair" windows screen, but get stuck there and won't go further. Once it even loaded Windows and worked properly. But I can't get there again :( + it does the same "mouse and kb freeze when I go into BIOS

Is this problem caused by the CPU(s)? I bought new AMD FX-8300 like two weeks ago, it worked with no problem until I did what I described above. My old CPU (AMD FX-4300) worked with no problem before as well.

Thanks for advices

Solution
I had a GPU for a couple of years and one day I booted up my PC and it wouldn't go past the Gigabyte Bios screen....until I changed my GPU. But, that may not be the problem you're having. I'm not 100% sure but that's what happened to me the same thing you're going through.

quattrov

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Mobo is GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P, and no, I don't have another GPU, but it's MSI N750Ti TF 2GD5/OC Gaming which I bought 5 months ago, I don't think it's a GPU problem - would it load Windows if GPU is faulty?

Brandon-

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
I had a GPU for a couple of years and one day I booted up my PC and it wouldn't go past the Gigabyte Bios screen....until I changed my GPU. But, that may not be the problem you're having. I'm not 100% sure but that's what happened to me the same thing you're going through.

Solution

quattrov

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Well, the thing is that when I tried to put in my old CPU, the blinking underscore thing disapeared and it looked like the PC just can't make it to the Windows. When I put back the new CPU the blinking underscore is back. Plus theres the thing with the mouse and keyboard freezing after few seconds, which occurs with both CPUs.

quattrov

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I just tried another CPU, and it does the same thing, load the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen and stays like that. Still the same with mouse and keyboard, when I get to BIOS, freeze after few seconds, even if it looks like working.

quattrov

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

You were right, it was faulty GPU

Brandon-

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

Nice, you found out the problem! Glad I was I was right. Did you RMA your other GPU?

quattrov

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

I did, yesterday. Now I can enjoy my friend's R9 until I'll get it back:) Thanks for your help.

Brandon-

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

No problem man. Have a good one!