Windows won't pass boot screen without pluging in USB

Raknusek

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
My problem is that I needed to install on my HDD the Windows 7 Ultimate version. For that I used the program Rufus to create a bootable USB so that I could install Windows and changed the settings on the BIOS so that my USB was the 3 bootable device (first was floppy drive and second was CD-ROM drive). After the installion ended, I turned off the computer and changed the BIOS settings so that the hard drive was now the 3rd bootable device. When the computer tried to enter the HDD, it became stuck on a black screen with the cursor blinking. When I forced shutdown the computer, I put the USB on the computer and, this time it started working normally. Now, every time that I need to turn on the computer, I need to plug in the USB or else it won't work.

Can anybody give me advice on how to repair this problem?

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Greetings Raknusek:

Your boot sequence should be:
1st Hard disk drive,
2nd Optical drive and
3rd [optional].

Currently it says (1st) Floppy drive or possibly Removable device (USB), neither of which is there and that's why it locks up. And while you're in the BIOS, disable Floppy drive in the drop-down menu if possible. I assume you don't use floppy disks any more than I do, so there's no need to confuse the BIOS.

For future reference you should always use 1st position for the device that's most important, also when installing. It's easier for you to remember, and the BIOS doesn't have to cycle through devices that aren't there.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Raknusek

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Thank you for the answer, GreyCatz. I tried what you said on the comment, but it still doesn't work. On my BIOS, there is a option to select the which hard drive should start first, then second... The hard drive on which Windows 7 is installed is defined as the first then the others are the USB drives. Althought I already tried to disabled the USB drives and turn on with only the hard drive, the problem keeps happening.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello Raknusek:

I'm sorry to hear that you still have problems with the boot order. There's one thing I don't quite understand: you say that you can actually use your PC with the USB. Do you mean everything on the PC, e.g. the Internet and applications?

One last try:
Remove the USB stick, turn on your PC and quickly press F12 - or the key that allows you to select a temporary/manual boot order. You should see the HDD with its full name, e.g. WD500xxx999. If you still can't access the hard disk, then you may have to perform a re-install of Windows 7. Something may have gone wrong during the first installation. It seems that Win7 didn't successfully install on the HDD.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.