Windows won't start after update

Dinelen

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Hi, I have a lenovo w520. Windows 10 runs great except that every couple of days it runs an update and when it finishes the operating system is stuck in that never ending round thing. I cold boot twice and then it goes back to the old version. How do I get it to stop doing that?
Thanks

Solution
If you boot your PC from a Win 10 installation disk, click Repair your computer, and navigate through the options.

If that doesn't work you'll likely have to restore to a restore point or re-image the machine.

It's likely that there's some conflict between the update and a program/service/driver on your PC. Problem is of course narrowing that down. Short of checking and updating everything, it may just be easier to back up your data, do a clean install of the OS, then run the update and re-install everything.

Make sure whenever you get a change to either back up your machine with a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect) or a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback Rx)

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
If you boot your PC from a Win 10 installation disk, click Repair your computer, and navigate through the options.

If that doesn't work you'll likely have to restore to a restore point or re-image the machine.

It's likely that there's some conflict between the update and a program/service/driver on your PC. Problem is of course narrowing that down. Short of checking and updating everything, it may just be easier to back up your data, do a clean install of the OS, then run the update and re-install everything.

Make sure whenever you get a change to either back up your machine with a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect) or a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback Rx)

Solution