Windows won't start up

HellOps

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I ran a Disk Check and it reported no error's. When it rebooted windows loaded and I was able to move my mouse but it remained on a black screen same results in safemode. I tried to run a sfc /scannow with cmd and I needed to complete the disk check by restarting the the computer I ran a chkdsk /r and waited through all 5 steps and it showed there was no problem. I am about to restore Windows on the hard drive but I am seeking any help that could fix this problem. Any help is appreciated

Solution
No I mean from a USB/DVD. Installing Windows onto the HDD on another computer then putting the hard drive back in your system is probably the cause of your problem if you did that. Use a USB flash drive to install Windows. If you plug a HDD with an existing OS into a different system you are likely going to get problems. Is that how you installed Windows the first time? It could be the answer. There are lots of possible causes though and its a case of ruling them out, but chkdsk wont have done any harm

What do you mean by restoring Windows on the hard drive? And how did you install it? Try running the Windows Repair Tool in the advancaed options of your installation media.

HellOps

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

I meant to say reinstall windows, and are you talking about the windows repair when you press F8 or the one with a install disk? I have tried both.

HellOps

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

I haven't touched the BIOS haven't installed any new drivers or updates the only thing I have done is run a disk check which i now regret as this seems to be the stem of the problem. When you talk about external installation do you mean installing from another computer or what. Regardless I am now going to reinstall windows on a different computer with the hard drive in question and see if that works.

No I mean from a USB/DVD. Installing Windows onto the HDD on another computer then putting the hard drive back in your system is probably the cause of your problem if you did that. Use a USB flash drive to install Windows. If you plug a HDD with an existing OS into a different system you are likely going to get problems. Is that how you installed Windows the first time? It could be the answer. There are lots of possible causes though and its a case of ruling them out, but chkdsk wont have done any harm

Solution