[SOLVED] Windows won't update and PC restarts every time I try to format it

Dec 31, 2020
Hey.

So, every time I try to reset my PC and reinstall windows the initial stage finishes--i.e. "preparing to reset"-- but then it just restarts normally instead of finishing the process. Is there any way

I'm trying to do this because for some reason I am unable to update Windows no matter what I do, every time getting the error code (0x800700de). I've googled the code and attempted some fixes but nothing has worked.

Some additional details follow. My PC tends to restart itself after about 15 minutes of being idle (I've checked power settings). Whenever it restarts, some apps seem to forget data and are reverted to a couple of days ago (eg. my Google Chrome search history). And a few weeks ago my Windows expired; I was only able to reactivate it a few days ago as I didn't have broadband set up, though I continued to use it offline and occasionally connected to a hotspot. While Windows was expired it changed from personal to a business network; I don't know why this is, and every time I try to change it back under Network ID setting it remains a business network after restarting.

I hope this makes sense. In short, I need help formatting my PC; I want to wipe it completely to hopefully fix the above issues.

Solution
So, every time I try to reset my PC and reinstall windows the initial stage finishes--i.e. "preparing to reset"-- but then it just restarts normally instead of finishing the process. Is there any way

have you tried this?
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

And a few weeks ago my Windows expired; I was only able to reactivate it a few days ago
Why did windows expire? that isn't normal, windows 10 doesn't have an end date?

On...
Dec 31, 2020
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I can't reinstall OS, all it does is restart the PC.

My specs are below.

wiLvPe.png
id0aPl.png

Colif

Win 11 Master

have you tried this?
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

And a few weeks ago my Windows expired; I was only able to reactivate it a few days ago
Why did windows expire? that isn't normal, windows 10 doesn't have an end date?

On another working PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you were on 19043 I would suggest a repair install.

Once you have the USB, lets try to update the PC using it instead.
put it in PC that won't update while windows is running
open file explorer
navigate to USB and click setup
it will offer to upgrade current PC to win 10 21H1
follow through with the wizard and it should restart and run the updater

If that still hits the reset this PC problem above. And you want to wipe windows and start again
Boot from installer

On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter - This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

restart PC and run installer and now windows is gone, it won't stop
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution