[SOLVED] Windows won't update any drivers and I cannot install Windows updates

benzy98

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
Hello, So I got a few issues.
Today I got a new generic headset, it's quite a cheap model and it's PnP so it should be working find as I plug it in. It's detected by Windows but in device manager it shows up as an unknown device named USB PnP Audio Device. I try to manually update the drivers and I receive an error message saying "Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them - USB audio device, the system cannot find the file specified"

The problem is, it's not the headset. It's doing it with my oculus rift headset and and USB flash drives. I've tried restarting and booted up with the devices plugged in but no luck. I managed to get my flash drive working after a few attempts of updating though.
I did some googling and tried manually updating drivers but that didn't work either, so I figured that I would try updating windows as I've had updates paused for a week because I have another problem with that.
When I try updating windows upon booting up again it says "we couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes"

I have no idea what to do as everything I try and google I've already tried everything that I can, so I posted here hoping that somebody can helping me out, I appreciate your time regardless even if you can't help me as I understand that this situation makes absolutely no sense.

Solution
So it seems windows update is broken - link - although since normal drivers won't install it could be a problem with TrustedInstaller instead. Either way you sort of stuck. Now in the previous link , the answer was a clean install of Windows and that might be about best answer.

How did you try to update to 2004? Did you download the upgrade assistant or Windows Media Creation Tool?
What I would try is this.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (you use a working win 10 PC to create it as it won't be buggy then)
Once you have an installer, put it in PC that needs fixing
navigate to the USB in File explorer and run setup
agree to updating PC.
run through the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start choose run...
type winver
and press enter
Current version number of win 10 is 2004.

knowing that will let me know what fixes we can try.

have you tried running SFC?
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

benzy98

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
type winver
and press enter

right click start button

and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
Hello, thanks for the reply.
I'm on Windows 10 pro version 1903.
I tried the SFC, when it finished it gave a message saying "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" I pasted in the command afterwards and it stayed on "operation running [oooooooooo" for around 20 minutes.

benzy98

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
type winver
and press enter

right click start button

and press enter

Just an update after my last reply, I tried updating windows again to version 2004 and I got the same error. A lot of other things failed too, I'll post the list underneath but they all have the same error message which is "Error - 0x800703f1"

Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA - 11/16/2017 12:00:00 AM - 10.0.1.6 - Error 0x800703f1
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 26.20.12028.2 - Error 0x800703f1
Realtek - Net - 7/23/2015 12:00:00 AM - 10.3.723.2015 - Error 0x800703f1
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - MEDIA - 8/8/2017 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.1.8228 - Error 0x800703f1
SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. - Modem - 2.16.14.0 - Error 0x800703f1
SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. - USB - 2.16.14.0 - Error 0x800703f1

Colif

Win 11 Master
So it seems windows update is broken - link - although since normal drivers won't install it could be a problem with TrustedInstaller instead. Either way you sort of stuck. Now in the previous link , the answer was a clean install of Windows and that might be about best answer.

How did you try to update to 2004? Did you download the upgrade assistant or Windows Media Creation Tool?
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (you use a working win 10 PC to create it as it won't be buggy then)
agree to updating PC.
run through the installer.

Now It might not work, this might be what you tried already. But at least you have a win 10 installer now.
So if the update fails again and rolls back, i would suggest a clean install of win 10 and since you know you have to do it, make sure to copy anything off the boot drive before hand you want to keep. Much easier to recover from a clean install if you are prepared for it before you do it.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

benzy98

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019

agree to updating PC.
run through the installer.

Now It might not work, this might be what you tried already. But at least you have a win 10 installer now.
So if the update fails again and rolls back, i would suggest a clean install of win 10 and since you know you have to do it, make sure to copy anything off the boot drive before hand you want to keep. Much easier to recover from a clean install if you are prepared for it before you do it.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
Thanks for the help, I did try to update through both the upgrade assistant and Windows media creation tool.
I'm going to clean install windows on Saturday morning so I will get back to you on that day. I have 2 USB's ready with 2004 update, one with normal boot and one with legacy boot and UEFI boot just incase even though I double checked and my BIOS mode is legacy.

If it means anything to the problem as well, this morning when I booted up my PC i got a blue screen 5 minutes into boot up, error message was "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION (what failed - fltmgr.sys) pc remained okay for the rest of the day after that, I have had this same bluescreen error multiple times in the past few weeks with different things failing.

Thanks again, and I'll get back to you when I've reinstalled windows.