Question Windows won't use more than 1 memory stick at once, Help

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
I have 3 memory sticks, 2 Gskill 4Gb 1600mhz and 1 Crucial 8Gb memory stick...
When i boot my pc and go to the BIOS, there is 16GB, but if i boot it to window,s it shows that 3 slots are being used, 16gb of ram confirmed, but only 4GB is being used...
Both gSkill are at the channel A(1 and 3) and the crucial is at 2
I already tried mixing the sticks and removing some but only one is used, it seems like it is always the one in the lowest channel slot
Ie, crucial at slot 2 and gskill at slot 3
Only crucial is used

I have 3 memory sticks, 2 Gskill 4Gb 1600mhz and 1 Crucial 8Gb memory stick...
When i boot my pc and go to the BIOS, there is 16GB, but if i boot it to window,s it shows that 3 slots are being used, 16gb of ram confirmed, but only 4GB is being used...
Both gSkill are at the channel A(1 and 3) and the crucial is at 2
I already tried mixing the sticks and removing some but only one is used, it seems like it is always the one in the lowest channel slot
Ie, crucial at slot 2 and gskill at slot 3
Only crucial is used
sounds like your using a x32 bit system not x64 bit open task manager and windows proprtites post screenshots here using imgur

What are your FULL hardware specifications? Include everything. Windows version. Windows BIT depth (32 / 64). CPU, motherboard, PSU, Leave nothing out.

Did both G.Skill sticks come together in ONE kit or did those come from different kit or individually?

Bottom line is, mixed memory often doesn't work together even if it's the exact same model but did not come in the same kit.

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
What are your FULL hardware specifications? Include everything. Windows version. Windows BIT depth (32 / 64). CPU, motherboard, PSU, Leave nothing out.

Did both G.Skill sticks come together in ONE kit or did those come from different kit or individually?

Bottom line is, mixed memory often doesn't work together even if it's the exact same model but did not come in the same kit.

MSI 970A G43 PLUS (bios 1.1)
Fx8320e
Windows 10 64bit
Deepcool D500 500w
Rx580 8Gb
SSD Samsung evo 850 240GB
1TB HDD

Gskill's are both the same kit

Yesterday my PSU died, it was working fine till then, today i went to buy a new one(D500), and when i remounted my pc, it stopped working...

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
Both new memory sticks WERE working in this system, BEFORE you installed the new PSU?

What do you mean by "remounted my PC"?
Yes, both memory sticks, the whole 16GB, and the 16gb still show up in the Bios, but not in Windows

It took me a while to diagnose that my PSU was dead, i tried removing some sticks and unpluging some drives, then i tested only my PSU by trying to make it work with a wire, but it didnt

Also i took the opportunity and cleaned all my computer and redid the whole Thermal paste thing on the CPU, so i did remove all the compnent and re-installed them, but i was carefull enough to memorize the RAM placement...

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
improper mounting of cpu cooler can cause DIMM slots to stop working. so maybe check to make sure cooler is mounted proper, standoffs etc..
Hm, mine is a watercooler, its clear of the slots, not even touching them, the radiator is mounted oposite of the slots, i've noticed that my RAM is at 800mhz, if i recall correctly, they were at 160mhz before... maybe its that? idk

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Hm, mine is a watercooler, its clear of the slots, not even touching them, the radiator is mounted oposite of the slots, i've noticed that my RAM is at 800mhz, if i recall correctly, they were at 160mhz before... maybe its that? idk
not the cooler pressing on DIMM slots.. Ive had issues with coolers being Mounted wrong with the standoffs not being right causing too much pressure on CPU .. causing DIMM to fail

Yes, that is always a possibility, however it's a LOT less likely with a waterblock than it would be with some kind of air cooler, simply due to the design and plane of force applied, and the fact that these DIMMs worked fine until the PSU was replaced would lead me to think it has nothing to do with a mis-located standoff or CPU cooler unless the whole system had been removed and reinstalled when the PSU was replaced. Which would be incredibly unlikely, although, I guess, possible.

It is far more likely that this is a case of something not plugged in, not plugged in RIGHT or a crappy PSU and I'd be inclined to believe it's a crappy PSU because I've seen a lot of previous issues with people using Deepcool power supplies.