Windows xp 64 bit installer

Solution
I think I get what you're saying but it doesn't work that way.

A dual boot system means you're running one OS or the other. You're not running both at the same time. Each OS has it's own limitations.

To run both OSes at the same time, you would need to run one OS as a virtual machine (I think this is where you're thinking RAM drive). While you could run an 8GB 64-bit linux OS, you would still need to assign X amount of RAM to an XP virtual machine and if the VM was a 32-bit OS, assigning more than 4GB of RAM would be wasted.

-Wolf sends

graydust153

Commendable
Apr 4, 2018
Iv tried vm as well doesn’t have proper driver support and is delayed compared to a full os for gaming

I have 32bit but the hardware I picked up for xp supports 64 so I’d like to get 64 if possible

USAFRet

Titan

Support for XP 64bit, both hardware and software, was/is abysmal.
You may have some singular device that wants 64bit, but the vast majority does not.

Just telling it like it is.

InvalidError

Titan

Do you mean that you specifically picked hardware that has drivers for Xp64 or that you simply picked hardware that supports 64bits in general and think you can just slap Xp64 on there? Driver support for Xp64 is spotty at best, tons of consumer devices have no driver support whatsoever. Xp64 was basically an experimental release as far as consumers are concerned.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gtx 780 has xp 32bit drivers. More importantly if there are motherboard drivers available for chipset, audio and lan. Lan drivers to activate Winxp. In saying activation, does Microsoft still provide Winxp online activation?

As for memory and vram support, Winxp will use what it can, old games won't suffer in performance if capacity isnt fully utilised.

graydust153

Commendable
Apr 4, 2018
I didn’t think you had to go online to activate it but iv got a cd and key for 32 iv had for years but I would like to get 64 but buy what I’m hearing I probably should not bother and just use 32bit especially if I’m gonna try installing 16 but games

Wolfshadw

Titan
I actually purchased Windows XP-64 and yes, I did have to activate it. However, most programs being written at that time and for some time after were still native to a 32-bit OS. For your purposes, you would want to install a 32-bit OS.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

A 32-bit OS only has a 4GB addressable memory space. 3.x GB for XP still only leave 0.y. The total cannot exceed 4.0GB.

-Wolf sends

graydust153

Commendable
Apr 4, 2018
Yea I was thinking of maybe some sort of dule boot linux thing maybe where Linux uses the ram and makes a ram drive and xp uses the rest or make a ram drive install xp on it and when the pc gets shut down it gets stored to the ram or something. Boot and shutdown would be a wile but system speed would be faster

USAFRet

Titan

With a dual boot, only one OS is running at a time, and it would get the full resources of whatever it can use.
You don't use both at the same time and they split it.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I think I get what you're saying but it doesn't work that way.

A dual boot system means you're running one OS or the other. You're not running both at the same time. Each OS has it's own limitations.

To run both OSes at the same time, you would need to run one OS as a virtual machine (I think this is where you're thinking RAM drive). While you could run an 8GB 64-bit linux OS, you would still need to assign X amount of RAM to an XP virtual machine and if the VM was a 32-bit OS, assigning more than 4GB of RAM would be wasted.

-Wolf sends

Solution