Windows XP and dual channel memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi guys,

So my dual channel memory sticks are 4GB each, and since XP can't use more than 4GB, I just installed 1 stick. Does it matter that it's dual channel memory? In other words, am I losing any speed by not using my sticks in pairs even though XP can't use more than 1 stick?

Thanks a lot! :)

Steve

Solution
For most uses there is very little to none performance difference between dual and single.
DDR means Dual Data Rate basically that a 1600MHz (effective) advertised ram actually only has 800MHz speed.
With both sticks in a dual channel capable board XP would use both sticks equally until its 4GB limit is reached.

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
DDR means it doubles the rate of just one stick if you are using 2, isn't that right? It just seems like Windows XP would only be using one stick and doesn't care about what type of memory you have plugged in. I guess what I am really asking is how does XP use memory in my scenario.

For most uses there is very little to none performance difference between dual and single.
DDR means Dual Data Rate basically that a 1600MHz (effective) advertised ram actually only has 800MHz speed.
With both sticks in a dual channel capable board XP would use both sticks equally until its 4GB limit is reached.

Solution

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Ah ok. See, that's what I wasn't sure of. I didn't know if XP used both slots equally, or if it just used slot 1 until it ran out of RAM to use and THEN went to the next stick/slot in line. I guess that makes sense now that you say that. It wouldn't really be doubling the speed if it only went to the next stick only when it filled up the first one. Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me, rolli! :)

Still, I'll probably just keep it as is. Granted, the new build isn't loaded down with tons of software, fragged files and a wonky registry yet and such, but it's already 10x better than what i had, and no sense putting that other stick in and risk it getting fried or whatever, or stressing the system when i can just put it away and save it for another day or when i get 64 bit Windows 7.

Much appreciation! :hello:

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.