Windows XP and Windows 8 dual boot

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 with a pre-installed version of Windows 8. However for some aspects of my daily routine I need access to a Windows XP OS. Is there anyway I could dual boot so that it asks me what OS I want to load? I am prepared to re-install Windows 8 after installing Windows XP if need be. I have both the Windows 8 and Windows XP CD's. Also I would just need around 40gb of hard drive space allocated to Windows XP and the rest to Windows 8. P.S. I do not want to use any Virtual Machine software. Please can you provide me with simple step by steps on how to do this. Would really appreciate all the help as everything online is hard to follow.

You need download software and driver first. I did try the win7/win8, winxp/win7 dual boot.
1) Download the easyus Partition Manager Software free edition. http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm , because you need make the partition for the win8.
2) Download the intel AHCI controller driver. File name:f6flpy-x86.zip. Unzip it to the USB, the X64 zip file for win8 64-bit if you want. Use it for installation winXP because winxp does not comes with it, when you install winxp w/o it you will get the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). And newer version windows like vista, win7, and win8 come with the driver.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22194
3) Other dell laptop drivers like the network, audio, keypad, etc from dell website.
4) Check the link to see how to load the intel ahci driver during installation for winXP, it is from youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDT40ewh90

Now you are better to install the old version winodws first, order like 2000, winXp, vista, win7, and win8.

1) Star the computer, press the "del or F2, or F12" key to enter the BIOS, check the manual first from your laptop. set the boot order like DVD 1st, HDD is 2nd, also in the storage mode to AHCI, load the winXP CD to the DVD/CD drive, save and exit.
2) Restart the computer, "press any key to boot from DVD/ CD" when you see this on the screen then press one key. During that time you will load the intel ahci driver by inserting the USB with the ahci driver to linstall it. After that you can done the winXP installation without any problem.
3) Install all other driver from dell website you download, also antiviruse, winXP updates.
4) After done the winXP, you need install the "easyUs Partition Manager Software" to make the partition for the win8. If you need more info and go to here. http://www.easeus.com/support/online-help.htm
5) After have the partition for the win8 I will label it "win8", insert the win8 dvd, restart the computer, to load the win8 dvd to install it. Win8 does come with ahci driver, but If you want you can use the X64 files ( I think you should have the 64-bit version win8) to install the driver. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9573-sata-driver-load-windows-8-setup.html
6) After those, update win8, install antivirus software, other software you want, you are set. You will have the option to choose boot from win8 or earlier version of windows to boot the laptop.

I add the similar dual boot win7/win8 if you can find some info. http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

Good luck, and have fun.

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. Really appreciate it. Is this solution tested and working? Also I have the drivers on a CD so will those drivers work on Windows XP? Because when I go onto dell drivers website for my laptop it shows only Windows 7 and Windows 8. So don't know if the drivers are compatible with Windows XP. To be honest the only think I need on Windows XP is the usb ports to work, Internet and Display. Please help. Thank You.

This is definitely work for the dual boot.

The driver in the CD will not work with winXP, I think it is for win7 or win8. You need get the driver from manufacturer website for the winxp. For example, network driver will maybe either intel or Realtek in your dell, for the USB, if it is USB3.0 it maybe is from intel too.
Check your laptop specification to see the what USB is in your laptop. If from intel, then it will not work for winxp and vista in USB3.0 speed because the driver is for win/win8 only. but you can go to BIOS set it to usb2.0 ( auto, that means either USB2.0 or 3.0) so that you can use it. And winxp will come with it.

Network driver:
Intel: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/network
Realtek: http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Display driver from intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3712&DwnldID=22642&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%c2%ae+Core%e2%84%a2+Processors+with+Intel%c2%ae+HD+Graphics+4000&lang=eng
If you have the AMD GPU, go to AMD website: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

What about the wi-fi drivers?

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
While Windows XP can be dual booted with Windows 8, the process is not simple nor is it recommended. For example, Dell only provides driver support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 64 bit. The system is also configured with Secure Boot, which prevents unsigned operating systems from booting. This will need to be disabled in the system firmware before proceeding to install Windows XP. Lastly, the Windows XP boot files are not compatible with Windows 8, thus the Windows 8 boot files will need to be restored using Bootrec.

Windows XP driver support will need to be provided by the component manufacturers. Some devices are not supported. Here are a few drivers or support details I was able to find with a quick search:
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 Drivers are available from Intel.
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Drivers are not available for Windows XP.
Realtek 8111F Ethernet Drivers are available from Realtek.
AMD does not provide drivers for the 7700M cards directly.

Ultimately, it is much easier and more effective to use the Client Hyper-V virtualization technology included with Windows 8 Professional and Enterprise to create a virtual Windows XP machine in which to run any incompatible applications. Through this technology you can switch between the environments without rebooting, you have virtual driver support for the Windows XP environment, and you don’t have to worry about secure boot or rebuilding a boot database. An overview of Client Hyper-V can be found here on TechNet. Instructions to enable it are found under Software Requirements and To Enable Client Hyper-V. Add Features to Windows 8 can be used to easily add the Windows 8 Pro Pack to Windows 8 to add Client Hyper-V if you do not currently have Windows 8 Professional.

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

I do not have Windows 8 professional. I only have the one that is provided wth the Del laptop I think it is the OEM version. And to be honest I only need to use Windows XP to use the USB ports and the Internet. Will Windows XP still run smoothly though? And if anything does go wrong then can I just install Windows XP all over again and remove any partitions.?

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

There are no USB 2.0 ports available on the chassis. Unfortunately, the USB 3.0 ports are not supported in Windows XP.

The smoothness of the operating system is largely dependent on proper driver support, given that it is through the drivers that the hardware is communicated with. Unfortunately, at the very least in my research the USB 3.0 drivers are not available for Windows XP. I am also unable to verify the compatibility of the touchpad, card reader, and graphics.

The touchpad may work off a standard mouse driver. The graphics off the standard VGA driver, and the card reader may not be necessary, but these standard drivers are not designed for the specific hardware and the experience will not be what one would expect from a properly configured system.

If the system is unconfigured, you can certainly try to install Windows XP to see how far you get, then reinstall from Windows 8 disks if it goes wrong. If you have applications installed or configured, those would need to be reinstalled to return to the Windows 8 environment which you currently have.

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Even though the USB device is USB 2.0 will it not work in the ports once windows XP is installed?

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
USB 3.0 ports are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices and USB 3.0 devices backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports, yes, but the chipset is not supported in Windows XP. So it will appear as an unknown device in Device Manager and Windows XP will not even be aware that a device has been plugged in or removed from the port, or that it has USB ports at all.

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

I am going to attempt installing Win XP sometime today if not then this weekend. Fingers crossed everything works fine.

ash_mufc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Hmm so would hat stop me from using the device?

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Let me provide you with a step by step set of directions, since that may make things a bit easier.

1. Go to the Start Screen and type Add Features and follow the instructions provided here from Windows Support to add the Windows 8 Pro Pack.
2. Right click in the lower left hand corner and select Control Panel.
3. Select the Programs Category.
4. Under Programs and Features select Turn Windows features on or off.
5. Check the box for Hyper-V then select OK. Restart when requested.
6. After you have restarted, insert your Windows XP disk in the disk drive.
7. On the start screen, locate the newly created Hyper-V Manager icon and select that.
8. On the left side of the Hyper-V Manager window, select your computer name.
9. On the right side of Hyper-V Manager, select Virtual Switch Manager.
10. Select New Virtual Network Switch from the left pane, and select External on the right pane to connect to the outside network. Then press Create Virtual Switch.
11. Name the network to indicate that it connects to the external network, then select an adapter through which you connect to the outside world.
12. Keep the check box for allow management operating system to share this network adapter to ensure your Windows 8 environment can continue to access the internet. Then select OK and allow the operation to complete.
13. On the right side of the Hyper-V Manager window, select New, then Virtual Machine.
14. In the New Virtual Machine Wizard, select Next to customize the machine.
15. Enter a name for the virtual machine, then select Next.
16. You can customize the memory value for your machine. 512MB should be sufficient for Windows XP, though if you have a significant amount of memory (8GB+) you may want to increase this value. You can also check the box for dynamic memory to allow the amount to increase if the Windows XP environment needs it.
17. Under Configure Networking, select the virtual switch you created in step 11.
18. Under Connect Virtual Hard Disk, you can accept the defaults though you may want to change the size to the 40GB you referred to earlier in this thread.
19. Under Installation Options, select Install an operating system from a boot CD/DVD-ROM, then select Physical CD/DVD drive and point it to your optical drive.
20. Click Next and then finish. Install Windows XP in the environment inside Hyper-V as you would on a native computer.

Until advanced tools are installed in the Windows XP environment, you may want to remember the Ctrl+Alt+Left Arrow key combination as when you click in the window with the XP environment it will trap your mouse until you press that key combination.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

The Renesas Electronics driver is for a third party chip included to provide USB 3.0 support on some Intel X79 motherboards. It is not compatible with the xHCI chipset.

Perhaps the setting described in that Intel article is available in the system firmware. If so, you may still be able to install Windows XP natively with USB support, but the other core drivers may still pose an issue.