Question WINDOWS XP computer turns off randomly when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuweyy

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Computer randomly turns off when playing video games, doesn't turn back on until you manually press the button. Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why this happens?
thanks

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well you're running an antique and the most likely thing that would would cause this issue is a failing power supply. If you want to keep using XP you should get a new power supply pronto before the old one kills everything in your build.

Put a vacuum cleaner on "blow" and blow out any dust in there. Dust creates heating problems and heating problems can also cause shut downs.

Remember never to use cables from a brand X power supply in a brand Y power supply. Use only the cables that come with the power supply.

Greg N

Reactions: tuweyy

tuweyy

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Well you're running an antique and the most likely thing that would would cause this issue is a failing power supply. If you want to keep using XP you should get a new power supply pronto before the old one kills everything in your build.

Put a vacuum cleaner on "blow" and blow out any dust in there. Dust creates heating problems and heating problems can also cause shut downs.

Remember never to use cables from a brand X power supply in a brand Y power supply. Use only the cables that come with the power supply.

Greg N
Thanks for your response I will pass on this information to the person and see what they want to do about it.

Jun 26, 2019
I would check before buying new parts the temperatures your computer is running while playing. Install MSI Afterburner (i believe an old version works with windows xp) and set on display information GPU and CPU temps. While playing, make sure the temps are showing in the left upper corner and keep looking at them. If the temperatures get too high, that might be the reason why your computer is shutting off. In that case, maybe a new cooler or new thermal paste.

If it's not a temperature problem, try testing the computer but this case without games. run prime95 and ckeck temperatures at the same time with CPUID Monitor. If you can run that test for a long period without problems, then it might be graphics card fault.

If not, then it might be what the tuweyy said, a bad power supply, or even maybe bad capacitors in your motherboard. I would also do a memtest before buying new hardware, maybe it's a ram problem (but i doubt, ram problem usually give bsods).

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.