Windows Xp date n time keeps resetting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I've been facing this problem for 2 weeks now...the pc date & time keeps resetting every time i boot the computer..
I've replaced the cmos battery with two different ones,configured the time by placing the jumper over pin 2 & 3..detached every wire in the cpu,cleaned the cabinet properly and attached'em carefully and tightly..i've tried setting the date & time by pressing F2 and entering bios setup..performed full pc scan in safe mode with MALWAREBYTE'S ANTI MALWARE...fixed the registry with registrybooster...the timezone is also correct...but still the date nd time changes on every reboot...

Please help...it's quite frustrating having to change the date and time again and again EVERYDAY

Solution
@brollyjin

After doing some research regarding your Intel DG41RQ motherboard there are quite a few BIOS flashes available for that board since it's first release, and some were important, I really suggest you get over your fear of Flashing the BIOS, educate yourself on How to do it, and, do it.

FYI: You wrote DG41RQ1, there is no reference to the 1 on the end, you search for DG41RQ in Intel support downloads to find the BIOS files for you motherboard, and apparently the Flashing Instructions are actually within the downloads themselves.

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

No i didnt...i know nothing about flashing bios...so will it be safe for me to update it???

And as truegenius said,i took the reading at vbat and it showed 0.272v...what does that mean???

That means you have a bad battery.

A CMOS CR-2032 battery is a 3.0v lithium cell battery they'll usually read 3.0v to 3.3v

With the reading your battery is showing only the machine in actual operation will be able to hold your CMOS settings, once you shut it down they're gone.

Good catch truegenius!

ziuus1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

+1. In this case. Since you already replaced the cmos battery and are still haveing this issue. You might want to consider that you have a bad mobo or mobo going bad?

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Okay,but there were some other readings also...

current min max
Vcore 1.136v 1.096v 1.280v
Vccp2 2.560v 2.544v 2.560v
+3.3v 3.280v 3.264v 3.296v
+3.3v 3.280v 3.264v 3.296v
+5v 3.912v 3.912v 3.936v
VIN5 1.552v 1.552v 1.568v
VIN6 1.712v 1.648v 1.728v
3VSB 3.392v 3.392v 3.392v
VBAT 0.336v 0.336v 0.336v

What does these readings suggest???

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Yes you are right....the first battery(which was already inside cpu) was 4months old...second one was bought 2 weeks ago,and the 3rd one was bought 5 or 6 days ago...all from different stores...and they all are lithium CR2032 3v cells...

So is it possible that something inside the cpu is causing these cells to damage or not work??

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
@4ryan6
:D

check voltage of that cell before and after installing (by takingout battery, using voltmeter) in board and when running in pc (using hwinfo).
If voltmeter is unavailable then try a 'LED' bulb to confirm that voltage of battery is above ~2 (if bulb glows very dim) or 3 (if bulb glows at about its full strength). And then use a small dc motor (used in toys) to check that if battery is giving enough continuous current and thus to verify that its voltage is not dropping too much during extraload (btw if it can power a led then it have sufficent current and voltage at that instance).

If reading differs too much then either software is not reading it correctly or socket of battery is damaged or have some corrosion/dust otherwise board is saying 'sweet dreams'.

@brollyjin

After doing some research regarding your Intel DG41RQ motherboard there are quite a few BIOS flashes available for that board since it's first release, and some were important, I really suggest you get over your fear of Flashing the BIOS, educate yourself on How to do it, and, do it.

FYI: You wrote DG41RQ1, there is no reference to the 1 on the end, you search for DG41RQ in Intel support downloads to find the BIOS files for you motherboard, and apparently the Flashing Instructions are actually within the downloads themselves.

Solution

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Okay,i tried the led technique,and the bulb was glowing at its max....and then inserted the same cell in motherboard and the checked the vbat which showed 0.272v....

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Okay,thnx....i will try updating it,as the problem hasnt been solved yet...i will look for the proper technique to update the bios...and will post the results...

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
UPDATE!!!

I flashed the bios using twice(it was EASY)....with express installer,and also with the use of a bootable flash drive(i already had the latest bios it said)..but nothing has changed...the problem still persists..i've also downloaded many windows xp updates..

So as all of you suggested,the prblm is with the M/B...right..!!??

Now,my mom won't allow me to buy a new M/B soon...so i guess i have to get used to the prblm and just change the date and time myself everytime..M/B's working fine,just the bios prblm...

So i think we can now mark this thread as solved.....the solution is "REPLACE THE MOTHERBOARD"..

But still i got to learn new things....flashing bios,bios jumper,windows update,and the main thing is that now i know there's a cell inside the M/B(which a month ago,i didnt even knew)...

Thanx guys for helping me out...there's no other suggestions for me now i guess....right??

Well congratulations! Not that the M/B is bad, but that you've learned enough and taken steps, you weren't sure you could take, and did it, successfully.

You just took your first diagnostic steps to becoming a computer Geek. :)

When you select yourself a Best Answer the thread will be automatically marked Solved

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

That sure is a peculiar problem. I'm wondering if that's going to turn out to be a significant date for you. Get out the Quija board. LOL

Anyway, its an odd thing but if all else is working fine you can always get a desk clock and calendar.

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Yup...the only little little little prblm is that if the date is wrong(which always go back to 2008),then the internet wont allow me to open some sites like facebook,g.mail etc by saying certificate errors...and the antivirus says please update your database... :sol: :D :lol:

ygogikar

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

I can understand that. Even I am facing the same problem of the system time getting changed automatically and getting F1 to continue everytime when rebooting. I need the solution for the same asap.

vishalghadge

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Hey guys ,
read this post and I am facing the same problem with my Windows 7 OS too.
The clock is resetting on every boot and I need to press F1 everytime I reboot my system....Its very irritating and I need one of you to provide a solution please...!

Andy Wilson

Reputable
May 16, 2014
Help,me too! Also exactly the same problem replaced the battery on the MB and now everytime i switch the computer on i have to press F1 then also readjust the clock which resets back to the same incorrect year.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014

Hey Andy..

brollyjin here...
actually i wasn't able to solve the problem....even though i tried many things mentioned above...
the problem remained....

i had to live with the problem until my MOBO gave up on me during april'13...and i had to buy a new one...
but for the problem..no...i was unable to solve it...

sorry...

mynameisjohn

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Strangely I am having the exact same problem for past few weeks also. I have a 6 years old computer with ASUS motherboard. I have noticed problems with skype starting and stopping ,starting and stopping on and on ,for periods of time, AND then I find that I have dates 1 year or so in the future appear when I post messages on Skype and then stays like that.

Dickgoodbody

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Hey andy / mynameisjohn... i too have this exact same problem with my xp os [reset to 1st january 2007 - 1:30am] , the problem started last week when i couldn't open my firefox browser, as a pop up said; my certificate was expired... then i tried google chrome, same thing happened, also certificate had expired with explorer... i immediately became suspicious so checked/reset the clock then did a virus scan which did find and remove the following virus: Threat: Win32 Trogen-gen... i ran malware bytes but was no good, as couldn't find it, so yeah, avast ended up finding & getting rid of it... however, my clock still keeps going back to 2007... i noticed approx 1-2 weeks ago when going to turn off the pc, that microsoft were sending update parcels through, i was suprised as i thought they weren't supporting xp any more?... and now i'm having probs with my clock resetting itself to 2007... coincidence or A. are microsoft sabotaging xp for people who still wish to use it? or B. was it the Trojan virus that did this damage to the clock before being removed or C. some other possible explanation?... anyway, i too would like to know how to get on top of this clock resetting issue, hence will be watching this thread closely, hoping someone out there has a solution? thanks.

mr_raghav

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
I will try to give a work around. Even if the battery is ok, it should touch both positive and negative pins on the battery socket. On my mother board, the top of the battery i.e. positive side was not touching. I used a jumper to make the contact and it was ok but it was not stable. Hope it helps someone.