Windows XP does not recognise 2nd hard drive

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
431
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a fairly
old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective of the
exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The primary hard
drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS Setup
recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but Windows
does not! Where to now?
Thanks
 

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
329
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Have you tried going into Disk Management and seeing if it's there? If it
is, right click and assign a drive letter.

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:utyvkwxoFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a
>fairly old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective
>of the exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The
>primary hard drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS
>Setup recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but
>Windows does not! Where to now?
> Thanks
>
>
>
 

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1,721
0
19,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi: i am having the same problem. i'm using a new drive thats been
formatted via a mac for both windows and mac. if i go to disk management, it
wants me to initialize the disk. i have all my musi on this drive and dont
want to screw it up. windows help doesnt tell me what 'initialize' will
really do. will it affect the data on the drive? thanks

"Randy" wrote:

> Have you tried going into Disk Management and seeing if it's there? If it
> is, right click and assign a drive letter.
>
> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> news:utyvkwxoFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a
> >fairly old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective
> >of the exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The
> >primary hard drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS
> >Setup recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but
> >Windows does not! Where to now?
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
 

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
431
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Additional information:
The slave hard drive soes not show up in Devices. At boot up I can start
the computer (in Safe Mode) using the slave hard drive as it has a copy of
Windows 95 on it.


"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:utyvkwxoFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a
>fairly old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective
>of the exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The
>primary hard drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS
>Setup recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but
>Windows does not! Where to now?
> Thanks
>
>
>
 

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
431
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks Randy BUT it does not show up in Disk Management :-(


"Randy" <nospam@wowspam.com> wrote in message
news:QwHMe.19576$Oy2.10960@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Have you tried going into Disk Management and seeing if it's there? If it
> is, right click and assign a drive letter.
>
> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> news:utyvkwxoFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a
>>fairly old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective
>>of the exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The
>>primary hard drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave.
>>BIOS Setup recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc)
>>but Windows does not! Where to now?
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>>
>
>
 

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
329
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:uSkaik3oFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Randy BUT it does not show up in Disk Management :-(

Sorry Geoff but you got me there. I've installed dozens of slave drives in
various pc's with 98, ME and XP and have yet to have one not show up when I
go to Windows Explorer. If your drive shows up in the bios XP should see
it, in fact what usually happens is a bubble will show up in the lower right
hand corner saying XP is installing the new hardware. The typical problems
on this newsgroups are drives that show up in the bios and in device manager
but because XP didn't assign a drive letter they aren't seen and going into
disk management and assigning the drive letter usually fixes the problem. I
have never run into that problem.
If you using the master slave jumpering rather than cable select, make sure
you have no jumpers installed when used as a slave.
 

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
431
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

oh, damn.... :-(

I am using master slave jumpering and no jumper is being used on the slave
drive (in accordance with the diagrams on the drive).

Perhaps I shud put the "offending" drive into another, more up to date
machine and see if that works.




"Randy" <nospam@wowspam.com> wrote in message
news:TEPMe.19806$Oy2.19029@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> news:uSkaik3oFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks Randy BUT it does not show up in Disk Management :-(
>
> Sorry Geoff but you got me there. I've installed dozens of slave drives
> in various pc's with 98, ME and XP and have yet to have one not show up
> when I go to Windows Explorer. If your drive shows up in the bios XP
> should see it, in fact what usually happens is a bubble will show up in
> the lower right hand corner saying XP is installing the new hardware. The
> typical problems on this newsgroups are drives that show up in the bios
> and in device manager but because XP didn't assign a drive letter they
> aren't seen and going into disk management and assigning the drive letter
> usually fixes the problem. I have never run into that problem.
> If you using the master slave jumpering rather than cable select, make
> sure you have no jumpers installed when used as a slave.
>
 

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
431
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Good news is that I placed the "offending" hard drive in another more up to
date (hardware) machine and Win XP recognised it and I was able to save the
required data for the client.
Thanks for everyones help.

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:utunTq4oFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> oh, damn.... :-(
>
> I am using master slave jumpering and no jumper is being used on the slave
> drive (in accordance with the diagrams on the drive).
>
> Perhaps I shud put the "offending" drive into another, more up to date
> machine and see if that works.
>
>
>
>
> "Randy" <nospam@wowspam.com> wrote in message
> news:TEPMe.19806$Oy2.19029@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> news:uSkaik3oFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Thanks Randy BUT it does not show up in Disk Management :-(
>>
>> Sorry Geoff but you got me there. I've installed dozens of slave drives
>> in various pc's with 98, ME and XP and have yet to have one not show up
>> when I go to Windows Explorer. If your drive shows up in the bios XP
>> should see it, in fact what usually happens is a bubble will show up in
>> the lower right hand corner saying XP is installing the new hardware.
>> The typical problems on this newsgroups are drives that show up in the
>> bios and in device manager but because XP didn't assign a drive letter
>> they aren't seen and going into disk management and assigning the drive
>> letter usually fixes the problem. I have never run into that problem.
>> If you using the master slave jumpering rather than cable select, make
>> sure you have no jumpers installed when used as a slave.
>>
>
>
 

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
329
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:eGj1Ek5oFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Good news is that I placed the "offending" hard drive in another more up
> to date (hardware) machine and Win XP recognised it and I was able to save
> the required data for the client.
> Thanks for everyones help.

Now you got my curiosity, what is so different hardware wise between the 2
machines?
 

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
431
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The "old" machine dates back probably about 6 years, Asus P3V133 m/b with
Award Medallion BIOS V6 (1999?), 32MB Ram, running Win95.

My machine is only about 30 mths old.

"Randy" <nospam@wowspam.com> wrote in message
news:qbTMe.19828$Oy2.16718@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> news:eGj1Ek5oFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Good news is that I placed the "offending" hard drive in another more up
>> to date (hardware) machine and Win XP recognised it and I was able to
>> save the required data for the client.
>> Thanks for everyones help.
>
> Now you got my curiosity, what is so different hardware wise between the 2
> machines?
>
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY