Windows XP hard drive question

I some time ago I upgraded my wife's XP Home to XP Pro so I could help her
out remotely. I have now discovered that she has a C drive and a D drive both
with Windows system data on them. I cannot recall putting in an additional
hard drive on her computer but at my age I could have and forgotten about it.

Is there a way to deternine in Disk Management if the D drive has been
partitioned or if it is physically a different drive, without actually
removing the case and looking? I hope I have explained myself here adequately.

If the computer came with XP installed, there is likely a "restore partition". This partition is usually hidden, and is formatted FAT32. It contains what would be the contents of a recovery CD/DVD, and is used to put the computer back to its "out of box" state.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Skip Bisconer" <SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8ABFDFDE-3568-48CF-98FD-FED087BED8B6@microsoft.com...
>I some time ago I upgraded my wife's XP Home to XP Pro so I could help her
> out remotely. I have now discovered that she has a C drive and a D drive both
> with Windows system data on them. I cannot recall putting in an additional
> hard drive on her computer but at my age I could have and forgotten about it.
>
> Is there a way to deternine in Disk Management if the D drive has been
> partitioned or if it is physically a different drive, without actually
> removing the case and looking? I hope I have explained myself here adequately.

Charlie

start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system information/storage/disks
"Skip Bisconer" <SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I some time ago I upgraded my wife's XP Home to XP Pro so I could help her
> out remotely. I have now discovered that she has a C drive and a D drive
> both
> with Windows system data on them. I cannot recall putting in an additional
> hard drive on her computer but at my age I could have and forgotten about
> it.
>
> Is there a way to deternine in Disk Management if the D drive has been
> partitioned or if it is physically a different drive, without actually
> removing the case and looking? I hope I have explained myself here
> adequately.

Thanks for your help. Apparantly I did install an additional hard drive on
her computer.

"Charlie" wrote:

> start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system information/storage/disks
> "Skip Bisconer" <SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I some time ago I upgraded my wife's XP Home to XP Pro so I could help her
> > out remotely. I have now discovered that she has a C drive and a D drive
> > both
> > with Windows system data on them. I cannot recall putting in an additional
> > hard drive on her computer but at my age I could have and forgotten about
> > it.
> >
> > Is there a way to deternine in Disk Management if the D drive has been
> > partitioned or if it is physically a different drive, without actually
> > removing the case and looking? I hope I have explained myself here
> > adequately.

TRENDING THREADS