Windows XP Home HDD power management question regarding a SSD.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Intel says SSD's have a rated max of 5000 power on/off cycles but also said that "Windows" (not specifically XP) doesn't shut off your drive when you have the advanced settings set to power down your drive after a certain time, the drive just goes into a "low power" state which doesn't count for those 5000 cycles. But they couldn't tell me if XP also put drives into a "low power" state or back then it would completely turn off the drives. I was hoping someone would know so I know if I need to change the power settings on a customers computer.

Thanks

In sp3 it's low power state in older versions it was usually completly on. Also depends on the drivers installed since with default drivers it's up to the disk to decide if it goes in low power or not.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
This thing is connected through a SATA addon card. I forgot to mention that, so it's not even connected directly to the motherboard through a SATA port. I'm not sure how that effects things so I might as well ask, is leaving it always on a problem? Also can I find a way to tell XP to leave the SSD on and power down the older HDD? Even if its through the registry.

Thanks