Windows XP Home Logon Error

When I tried to log onto "Owner" on my personal machine running Win XP Home
SP2, I received the following error:

Logon Message
The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Please try again or consult your system administrator.

Win XP was running fine just a week ago which was the last time I logged on
successfully. Since then, I had powered off the computer and it sat idle for
a week. I've tried rebooting in Safe Mode and get the same error with either
"Owner" or "Administrator". I tried last best known configuration to no
avail. I also tried Recovery Consul, but it tells me the Administrator
password is incorrect. I havent changed it from the default, blank, and cant
figure out how it might have been changed. I even tried to repair the WinXP
Home installation from the system disc. Gateway (the manufacturer) said I
need to reformat and reinstall WinXP Home. I'd rather not do that unless I
have to. The computer is connected to a broadband connection. Could this be
malicious activity? Any ideas on how to work around this or am I doomed to
reinstall?

Are you connected to any kind of network? Or perhaps ".Net" is giving out the
error. Unfortunately, unless there is some way to remotely log on via a
network with administrator privileges, you may end up having to reinstall.
Did you change the computer name or change the group name the last time you
were using the computer?

"capitalchris" wrote:

> When I tried to log onto "Owner" on my personal machine running Win XP Home
> SP2, I received the following error:
>
> Logon Message
> The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
> The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
> Please try again or consult your system administrator.
>
> Win XP was running fine just a week ago which was the last time I logged on
> successfully. Since then, I had powered off the computer and it sat idle for
> a week. I've tried rebooting in Safe Mode and get the same error with either
> "Owner" or "Administrator". I tried last best known configuration to no
> avail. I also tried Recovery Consul, but it tells me the Administrator
> password is incorrect. I havent changed it from the default, blank, and cant
> figure out how it might have been changed. I even tried to repair the WinXP
> Home installation from the system disc. Gateway (the manufacturer) said I
> need to reformat and reinstall WinXP Home. I'd rather not do that unless I
> have to. The computer is connected to a broadband connection. Could this be
> malicious activity? Any ideas on how to work around this or am I doomed to
> reinstall?

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Take a look at "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents
Windows XP from starting"

"capitalchris" <capitalchris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I tried to log onto "Owner" on my personal machine running Win XP
> SP2, I received the following error:
>
> Logon Message
> The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
> The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
> Please try again or consult your system administrator.
>
> Win XP was running fine just a week ago which was the last time I logged
> on
> successfully. Since then, I had powered off the computer and it sat idle
> for
> a week. I've tried rebooting in Safe Mode and get the same error with
> either
> "Owner" or "Administrator". I tried last best known configuration to no
> avail. I also tried Recovery Consul, but it tells me the Administrator
> password is incorrect. I havent changed it from the default, blank, and
> cant
> figure out how it might have been changed. I even tried to repair the
> WinXP
> Home installation from the system disc. Gateway (the manufacturer) said I
> need to reformat and reinstall WinXP Home. I'd rather not do that unless
> have to. The computer is connected to a broadband connection. Could this
> be
> malicious activity? Any ideas on how to work around this or am I doomed
> reinstall?

That is a good document to keep handy, thanks for the link.

"GTS" wrote:

> Take a look at "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents
> Windows XP from starting"

> "capitalchris" <capitalchris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I tried to log onto "Owner" on my personal machine running Win XP
> > SP2, I received the following error:
> >
> > Logon Message
> > The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
> > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
> > Please try again or consult your system administrator.
> >
> > Win XP was running fine just a week ago which was the last time I logged
> > on
> > successfully. Since then, I had powered off the computer and it sat idle
> > for
> > a week. I've tried rebooting in Safe Mode and get the same error with
> > either
> > "Owner" or "Administrator". I tried last best known configuration to no
> > avail. I also tried Recovery Consul, but it tells me the Administrator
> > password is incorrect. I havent changed it from the default, blank, and
> > cant
> > figure out how it might have been changed. I even tried to repair the
> > WinXP
> > Home installation from the system disc. Gateway (the manufacturer) said I
> > need to reformat and reinstall WinXP Home. I'd rather not do that unless
> > have to. The computer is connected to a broadband connection. Could this
> > be
> > malicious activity? Any ideas on how to work around this or am I doomed
> > reinstall?

Found this too, How to log on to WinXP if you lost your password or it
expired. (I hoe it's not this easy in real life! : ) )
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305

"hardcandy" wrote:

> That is a good document to keep handy, thanks for the link.
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
> > Take a look at "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents
> > Windows XP from starting"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/EN-US/
> >
> > --
> >
> > "capitalchris" <capitalchris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I tried to log onto "Owner" on my personal machine running Win XP
> > > SP2, I received the following error:
> > >
> > > Logon Message
> > > The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
> > > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
> > > Please try again or consult your system administrator.
> > >
> > > Win XP was running fine just a week ago which was the last time I logged
> > > on
> > > successfully. Since then, I had powered off the computer and it sat idle
> > > for
> > > a week. I've tried rebooting in Safe Mode and get the same error with
> > > either
> > > "Owner" or "Administrator". I tried last best known configuration to no
> > > avail. I also tried Recovery Consul, but it tells me the Administrator
> > > password is incorrect. I havent changed it from the default, blank, and
> > > cant
> > > figure out how it might have been changed. I even tried to repair the
> > > WinXP
> > > Home installation from the system disc. Gateway (the manufacturer) said I
> > > need to reformat and reinstall WinXP Home. I'd rather not do that unless
> > > have to. The computer is connected to a broadband connection. Could this
> > > be
> > > malicious activity? Any ideas on how to work around this or am I doomed
> > > reinstall?

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003