Question Windows XP Inaccessible-Boot-Device error

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Hello,

I work at an arcade where the games all run off of a computer of some sort. One of our games runs a standard tower and an application, but it requires Windows XP to run. We had a bit of a HDD issue Happens all the time for some reason and are trying to reinstall windows XP on a new drive. We have tried 3 different drives, and each time we get the same STOP 0x0000007B error. We have tried Windows XP disc, a windows boot recovery disc, and even a straight windows XP ISO that I got from college all to no avail. We've replaced SATA cables as well to make sure its not that, and the HDD is Windows XP compatible. I'm not sure what it could be at this point, but I can't even get to the CMD to run a chkdsk for whatever reason as pressing F8 during POST doesn't do anything. All I know about the motherboard is that it's an American Megatrends. Any advice is highly appreciated, as this game has been down for over a month now!

Windows XP may not support the sata connectors on the motherboard out of the box. If that is the case, you have two options:
  • Downloads the drivers and put them to a 3.5' discette drive (yes, that is what XP require).
  • Get a new motherboard, install a newer OS and then use Virtualbox or similar software so you can install XP into.

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Windows XP may not support the sata connectors on the motherboard out of the box. If that is the case, you have two options:
  • Downloads the drivers and put them to a 3.5' discette drive (yes, that is what XP require).
  • Get a new motherboard, install a newer OS and then use Virtualbox or similar software so you can install XP into.
The motherboard is the same motherboard that has always been there if that is what you are referring to, the only things that have changed are the HDD and the cable itself.

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
we won't get any furter if you cannot answer what specific motherboard model you're using.
I believe it is an Advansus AA55E-IF motherboard, I've personally never heard of it but that's what POST tells me and when googled it pops up with a manual for that motherboard that's about as helpful as my mother talking about "pokemans".

Agree - the PDF file is dated 2011, so the mobo is probably that old too. And it seems to not exist any complete manual online.

If you're able to boot the computer using a Linux Live-CD, then you should be able to export full hardware speccs to a memory stick.

What about (if possible) to ask the person that installed XP when the computer was new?

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Agree - the PDF file is dated 2011, so the mobo is probably that old too. And it seems to not exist any complete manual online.

If you're able to boot the computer using a Linux Live-CD, then you should be able to export full hardware speccs to a memory stick.

What about (if possible) to ask the person that installed XP when the computer was new?
The game was new to our arcade in 2007 when we opened, and as far as I'm aware it has never had any computer parts outside of the HDD changed ever. Thats where my thoughts directed towards maybe a motherboard issue, but I just don't know enough about motherboards to know if that was the issue and I truly don't know if the motherboard on this has anything specific to this game as from what research I've done on reddit, this motherboard was tailored for arcade games which of course makes finding fixes harder. I'll look into the Linux CD tomorrow and see what I'm able to get. Thank you!

Many consumer mobos doesn't last very much longer than 6-10 years (very dependent of quality and use). In your case, I don't know if the model is assembled to last longer.

Abyway, if the motherboard is the problem, it will also have problem booting up a Linux live cd.

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Many consumer mobos doesn't last very much longer than 6-10 years (very dependent of quality and use). In your case, I don't know if the model is assembled to last longer.

Abyway, if the motherboard is the problem, it will also have problem booting up a Linux live cd.
I decided a slightly different approach due to not having time to get myself the Linux Live CD. I took the HDD out and put it in another computer and tried to do it that way. I'm still getting the same error's that I was getting on the other computer, so that kind of rules out the motherboard issue. I've also tried a different XP boot disc just in case, and a different HDD once again and I'm still getting the same no bootable device error. The HDD itself works fine, I ran a chkdsk on it and no errors came up.

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
There could be a problem with HDD cable or storage controller.

Are you able to get into bios menu - and does the hdd appear there ?
It does appear there, and I can select it as a boot option. When I do however, it just goes to the blank HDD screen when no OS is loaded. I'm also able to make partitions etc on it when I put it in a different computer and have it as a secondary drive.

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Ok - what excactly happens if you try to install XP onto that computer?
We actually FINALLY fixed it! For whatever reason, the AHCI drivers were being screwy. I was able to get the drivers fixed so that it could read the SSD and it worked perfectly. Thank you for watching this thread and replying as much as you did, I appreciate it!