Windows XP lockout screen - Password/user named deleted

ste1171

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi everyone,
New to the forum but hoping someone can help.
I have a laptop from work that has WIndows XP. I recently switched jobs and was able to keep the laptop but my username and pasword no longer work. I was able to still login to my old work several day after I left and I left the system logged in then when I shut my system down and restarted, my user name and login now longer worked.
I understand not being able to login to remotely to the company since I no longer work there but I cannot get past the windows login screen.
I think when I left the computer logged in, my user name and password were deactivated which would make sense.
How can I get logged in so I have access to the laptop?

Thanks,
Dave

That installed OS belongs to them, not you. By and install an OS.

This seems pretty typical. why would you expect a company to purchase hardware and software and expect them to let you take it to a different company, after all, they paid for it.

Once you knew you were switching jobs, you should have started backing up your data files and documents.

ste1171

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I agree with everything you are saying. But I am not taking the computer to another job. They let me keep it as it is 4 years old and they recently upgraded software so there is no issue with having what is on it. I must say they have been very nice. I was with the company for 15 years.
If I re-install the operating system, will I lose all the installed programs?
I did back up all of my files.

slayer91790

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
The laptop should have a Administrator account with a password which I doubt you would have any information on it. If you don't have access to the account, then you will need to reinstall the OS. Usually the Windows key is attached to the laptop so all you have to do is get a hold of the OS it has and reuse the key. Or if you could access to a program like ESR http://www.elcomsoft.com/esr.html and it will tell you the administrator account name and password on it.