windows xp motherboard support

zach_16

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
hello, im building a windows xp computer to run some old games that windows 10 cant play. and i want it to run a core 2 quad q6600 2.40ghz i cant find a motherboard that supports windows xp im willing to buy used and i also would like to know what compatile graphics card can i use from that time period? this would really help me out a lot thanks guys

If anything on the board has no drivers for XP, then that device simply won't work. For example: boards for Ivy Bridge work fine in XP except the USB 3.0 controller will have an exclamation point in Device Manager because there's no XP driver. There are also no drivers for the IGP either, but that is of no matter if using a discrete card.

Just about any S775 board will have everything work perfectly in 32-bit XP, because all of them came out after XP when XP was king (think about it: the very last ones arrived about a year after the very unpopular Windows Vista). The problem is usually the other way: some of them may have devices without drivers for 64-bit Win 7 and later, but at least XP drivers will normally work fine in 32-bit Win 7.

you can't find a motherbord that supports XP or one that is compatible with those CPU's?

if this is only for playing old games have you considered running them in a virtual machine using a program like vmware or virtualbox? with a virtual machine you can install windows XP within windows 10

May 26, 2018
Depends on socket. My 2005 Dell PC has LGA 775 but does not support dual-core processors, takes Prescott P4 up to 3.4 GHz. My 1GB Radeon 7470 video card works under XP even though running a little hot. How can you tell if thr boards don't support XP?

If anything on the board has no drivers for XP, then that device simply won't work. For example: boards for Ivy Bridge work fine in XP except the USB 3.0 controller will have an exclamation point in Device Manager because there's no XP driver. There are also no drivers for the IGP either, but that is of no matter if using a discrete card.

Just about any S775 board will have everything work perfectly in 32-bit XP, because all of them came out after XP when XP was king (think about it: the very last ones arrived about a year after the very unpopular Windows Vista). The problem is usually the other way: some of them may have devices without drivers for 64-bit Win 7 and later, but at least XP drivers will normally work fine in 32-bit Win 7.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS