windows xp network problems

gud

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
hi.
i recently upgraded my two home computers to windows xp professional (i hade win 2000 before) and i am very satisfied, except for one thing:
my wireless network is behaving pretty odd.

ive got two d-link dwl-650 cards (one in each computer) and a d-link dl-713P gateway.
i share a dsl connection between the two computers, and it works perfect without any slowdowns at all. and i can play games over lan without any problems at all, the connection speed is really good.
but what i cant do is to copy computer a's files from computer b properly, and vice versa.

the speed is veeeeeeery sllloooooow and the copying often stops after some minutes for bigger files. even a small .gif file takes some time.

it seems like this problem is related to xp and not the hardware, because everything worked flawlessly with windows 2000. i could watch .avis stored on one computer from the other one... now i cant even wath a 5 second movie clip properly...

anybody know what to do? or anybody without similiar problems?

spegiel_spike_cb

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Id say if you update the firmware it should help out, unless you have already tried that, and it is a really good chance that it is an XP problem because if it will transfer game data at the proper speed, then it should transfer simple data in the same fashion, the process is basically no different. I would check for firmware updates from D-link first and see what they have to say about it online. I recently purchased a D-Link 614+ series broadband wireless router for my setup. From what D-link says, no hardware is completely debugged(or software, windowsXP hehe). Plus I had to return it and purchase another one because the first router I was sent was defective. So far they havent kept my satisfaction level very high, but if I can finally get things running smoothly, it will be a badass setup.