Windows XP Pro 32bit to Win 7 Pro 64bit Upgrade

lknowlton

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Can I have the XP Pro 32bit upgrade version and install the Win 7 Pro 64bit upgrade version?
I've not been able to get a clear answer on this.
Please note I'm not trying to run an upgrade from xp to win 7. I know it will be a clean install. That said, will Win 7 Pro Upgrade allow me to install the 64bit version if it sees a 32bit upgrade version of XP? People go off on tangents about upgrade and clean installs. Please read the question. Thank you!

lknowlton

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

That would be awesome! Thanks!
I originally didn't even consider going 64bit, but if I can (I know my system can) then
so shall I give it a whirl!

I kept hearing contradictory things about this and was quite annoyed by the cornfusion!

Unfortunately, "upgrade" refers to two different things and therefore causes a lot of confusion:

1) Licensing - the ability to purchase an "upgrade" copy of the new OS at a reduced price based on having a licensed prior version. You CAN do this for Windows 7 if you have ANY version of Windows since Windows 2000. The new license is valid even if you install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and your previous OS was 32-bit.

2) Installation - the ability to install the new OS onto an existing system while keeping all of the existing accounts and installed software intact. With Windows 7 you can only do this if the previous system was Vista and only if it's a 32-bit to 32-bit upgrade or a 64-bit to 64-bit upgrade. All other combinations require you that you migrate your accounts and reinstall your software after installing Windows 7.

lknowlton

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

Your first point is well taken and provides the answer to the question I was looking for. Thank you.

Your second point I already knew about, but thanks anyway. It may, perhaps, help others who are reading this thread. Well written, concise and easily understood. Thanks again!

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Windows 7 CD key will allow you to install either 32 or 64bit, HOWEVER you will need the corresponding 32/64bit disc to do that.

Also you can only upgrade from 32 to 32bit and 64 to 64bit.

Lastly UPGRADE to Win 7 (any version) can only be done from VISTA, not XP, unless you upgrade XP to Vista first.

Personally just backup your data and wipe the lot clean.

lknowlton

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

Your reply is a bit confusing. Maybe its because:
As I'd said in my original post, I'M NOT TRYING TO "UPGRADE" XP TO WIN 7, because I already KNOW it will require a CLEAN INSTALL (in either 32 or 64bit Win 7).
I also said "PLEASE READ THE QUESTION". Thanks!

kehardman

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I tried to upgrade from XP Pro 32 to Win 7 64 and it would not let me. Said I didn't have the right software. Win 7 32 is installing now.

Is it possible to next put in the Win 64 disc and update to Win 7 64 after Win 32 installs.

Thanks

lknowlton

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

I'm not sure if you tried to UPGRADE XP to WIN 7 or just do a clean installation.
You CAN NOT do a UPGRADE from XP to WIN 7.
You CAN do a CLEAN INSTALLATION, which means WIN 7 wipes out your XP.
You could install WIN 7 32bit probably because you started a clean install.
Try installing the 64bit WIN 7 again by rebooting with the 64bit WIN 7 disc in your dvd drive. It would then see the 32bit version of WIN 7 and should allow you to install the 64bit version.
Good luck and let us know how it went. Thanks!

Azarack

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I just finished using the upgrade version of the software to go from XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. You cannot start from within XP like the instructions say. You have to boot from the 64 bit CD. I took the safe route and installed a seperate hard drive so that I could create a dual boot system. Did the custom install and pointed it to the new drive to install into. You can also do this into another partion on a single drive. I did not enter the product key or mark it for activation untill after the install was done and I had booted from the hard drive in to Windows 7. If you leave the product key field blank and uncheck the activation box durring install you can do that. Activated just fine and I am typing this from my new Windows 7 64 bit system.

texrb

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Azarack thank you for clarifying that you can use an upgrade version of Win 7 to do a clean install. From your install it sounds as if you also installed on a new HD (or partition) and not the drive or partition that the 32 bit XP resides on.

I called Microsoft support yesterday & they insisted I had to buy the full retail version to go from XP to Win 7. Your post clearly states they were providing wrong information.

You have just saved many readers $100 over the full retail version! Thank you.

I was planning on buying the Ultimate OEM, but will now buy the upgrade instead for $30 more since I understand the OEM version is tied to only one machine & can't be upgraded. If anyone has used an OEM version in the past & has found it to be just as upgradeable as a full or "upgrade" version, then please post. Thank you.

G

I did it and it works, am not familiar with multiboot details though. Question: Once you have done this the drive with XP can't be removed since the boot manager is on it. Is there a way to remove the xp drive and go to a "normal" single boot drive that being the win 7 drive? If not I'll probably start all over again on one drive with xp being on a tiny partition.

lknowlton

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

Would you not also then have to set the Win 7 partition to "active", so the BIOS knows that that drive is the bootable primary partition? Or does it automagically set the Win 7 partition to active? Thanks!

G

Hey,

I have read this whole topic, but i am not the smartest when it comes to computers, so a few things i wish to clarify.

I am currently on Windows XP Home (32bit) and i wish for my operating system to be Windows 7 Professional (64bit).

I am going to buy Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) from;

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/itsnotcheating/default.aspx

As far as i can tell this is an upgrade. Now after I purchase this and i download the files, do i just run it? or must i do something else because im on 32bit and i want to switch to 64bit.

Can someone please advise me of how to do this. I dont understand what partitioning is etc. or how to do it. I just want the easiest way to get from my Windows XP (32 Bit) to Windows 7 (64bit).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

arges86

Distinguished
you can't upgrade directly from windows xp the windows 7...
i recommend turning the downloaded files into an .iso (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/)
and then installing the OS on a different partition or a separate hard drive than XP
you can create a diff. partition when you're installing the OS, or you can create it through XP w/ a program called disk manager

infernis

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Ok, I guess Im going to ask something thats probably been asking 100 millions times. but anyways here goes.

I alright I'm planning on "using" the windows 7 64 upgrade CD for a clean install on a new HHD for my computer. What I want to know is, have any of you that have done this run into any activation problems or validation/registration issues??

My current OS is winXP (I know you can't upgrade it, I've been reading that all over the net so please save your fingers.) and XP is not using all the RAM on the hardware amoung other things. and yes it's 32 bit.... sadly

thanks

infernis

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I was wondering what people thought of the OEM version of windows 7???
I know you get no microsoft support with getting these but why would you wanna call india anyways...

And I've heard that you can only put them on one PC and if you switch to another you get call microsoft and deal with a headache, but what I wanted to know is what is involved when it comes to switching the parts with these, can you get away with changing every part in the PC but the hard and have to call microsoft again?

just something I'm wondering...