Windows XP Pro compatability with older IDE controllers

I have a Dell Demension 4100, 1Ghz system with Intel IDE controller. The
device manager is showing an error on the CD-r/w drive. The error is that the
driver is corrupt. The driver is in system32/cdrom. I have started in safe
mode, removed the driver, tried a 2nd drive and get the same error. Any
suggestions? Thanks.

Try going back into Device Manager and select your CDRW drive and rt click
choose uninstall. If you know which channel
your drive is connected to Primary or Secondary IDE channel then rt
click on ATA/ATAPI Controllers and choose the one it's installed on and
select Uninstall. Restart and let XP reinstall them.