Windows XP Pro installation requiring Password

I have been trying to install Winxp Pro on an Advent 7450 Laptop (Asus). I
had tried this in the past and had always had a Stop error "0x0000007F"
during the installation and abandoned the installation. I have been trying
the installation again and found some information in KB316526 really
applying to Dell machines but telling you to press F5 during the
installation and select "Standard PC". I have tried this and got XP to
successfully install but, during the first boot-up it is asking me for a
password at Log On either in the user that I have set up or for an
Administrator. I have never yet set up any log on passwords for this machine
??

Hi

For the Stop Code, please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web
page - left hand column
(7F)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have been trying to install Winxp Pro on an Advent 7450 Laptop (Asus). I
>had tried this in the past and had always had a Stop error "0x0000007F"
>during the installation and abandoned the installation. I have been trying
>the installation again and found some information in KB316526 really
>applying to Dell machines but telling you to press F5 during the
>installation and select "Standard PC". I have tried this and got XP to
>successfully install but, during the first boot-up it is asking me for a
>password at Log On either in the user that I have set up or for an
>Administrator. I have never yet set up any log on passwords for this
>machine ??

In fact, I've been here already but it does not really resolve anything. I
guess the stop error is some hardware problem. I have been trying to use the
F5 key at installation to get around this problem as I am suspicious that it
is an ACPI problem but I am not getting this Log ON Password problem
> Hi
>
> For the Stop Code, please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web
> page - left hand column
> (7F)
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have been trying to install Winxp Pro on an Advent 7450 Laptop (Asus). I
>>had tried this in the past and had always had a Stop error "0x0000007F"
>>during the installation and abandoned the installation. I have been trying
>>the installation again and found some information in KB316526 really
>>applying to Dell machines but telling you to press F5 during the
>>installation and select "Standard PC". I have tried this and got XP to
>>successfully install but, during the first boot-up it is asking me for a
>>password at Log On either in the user that I have set up or for an
>>Administrator. I have never yet set up any log on passwords for this
>>machine ??

Hi

The F5 key is normally used to try and enter Safe Mode - however that may be
different on a Dell system. Has the Dell XP CD got a 'Repair' option on it?
The following article by Michael Stevens may be of help then:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

> In fact, I've been here already but it does not really resolve anything. I
> guess the stop error is some hardware problem. I have been trying to use
> the F5 key at installation to get around this problem as I am suspicious
> that it is an ACPI problem but I am not getting this Log ON Password
> problem
>> Hi
>>
>> For the Stop Code, please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web
>> page - left hand column
>> (7F)
>>
>> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I have been trying to install Winxp Pro on an Advent 7450 Laptop (Asus).
>>>I had tried this in the past and had always had a Stop error "0x0000007F"
>>>during the installation and abandoned the installation. I have been
>>>trying the installation again and found some information in KB316526
>>>really applying to Dell machines but telling you to press F5 during the
>>>installation and select "Standard PC". I have tried this and got XP to
>>>successfully install but, during the first boot-up it is asking me for a
>>>password at Log On either in the user that I have set up or for an
>>>Administrator. I have never yet set up any log on passwords for this
>>>machine ??

For me F8 is used for entering safe mode. I am not using a dell Pc, please
read my first post regarding KB316526,
> Hi
>
> The F5 key is normally used to try and enter Safe Mode - however that may
> be different on a Dell system. Has the Dell XP CD got a 'Repair' option
> on it? The following article by Michael Stevens may be of help then:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In fact, I've been here already but it does not really resolve anything.
>> I guess the stop error is some hardware problem. I have been trying to
>> use the F5 key at installation to get around this problem as I am
>> suspicious that it is an ACPI problem but I am not getting this Log ON
>> Password problem
>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> For the Stop Code, please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web
>>> page - left hand column
>>> (7F)
>>>
>>> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Will Denny
>>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>>
>>> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Hi

That article seems to refer to a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 7840 computer.

The installation could be specific to the Laptop. Doesn't the documentation
that came with it explain any error messages that might occur? Have you
tried leaving the password blank?

--

> For me F8 is used for entering safe mode. I am not using a dell Pc, please
> read my first post regarding KB316526,
>> Hi
>>
>> The F5 key is normally used to try and enter Safe Mode - however that may
>> be different on a Dell system. Has the Dell XP CD got a 'Repair' option
>> on it? The following article by Michael Stevens may be of help then:
>>
>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> In fact, I've been here already but it does not really resolve anything.
>>> I guess the stop error is some hardware problem. I have been trying to
>>> use the F5 key at installation to get around this problem as I am
>>> suspicious that it is an ACPI problem but I am not getting this Log ON
>>> Password problem
>>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

Hi Will, In fact this all started about a year ago and I abandoned trying to
setup XP and left the machine running ME. I am now back having a look at it
again. Unfortunately the information provided with the laptop by Advent is
very limited. Advent is actually a cheaper product from PC World, one of the
big computer warehouses here in the UK. It is really a re-branded Asus PC
and previously I have tried their website but no success.
It is surprising that when I tried this F5 trick that XP installed
completely but came up asking for a Log in password!! Obviously there is
some kind of hardware problem with the original Laptop configuration which
XP doesn't, who knows, maybe Advent overclocked the processor !! I will
struggle on and report back. Any reports from other users of Advent or Asus
PCs of similiar type would be useful
> Hi
>
> That article seems to refer to a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 7840 computer.
>
> The installation could be specific to the Laptop. Doesn't the
> documentation that came with it explain any error messages that might
> occur? Have you tried leaving the password blank?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> For me F8 is used for entering safe mode. I am not using a dell Pc,
>> please read my first post regarding KB316526,
>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The F5 key is normally used to try and enter Safe Mode - however that
>>> may be different on a Dell system. Has the Dell XP CD got a 'Repair'
>>> option on it? The following article by Michael Stevens may be of help
>>> then:
>>>
>>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Will Denny
>>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>>
>>> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Further to my last post, if try to setup XP witht the PC set as "Standard
PC" I get the following error during the installation. "SXS.DLL:Syntax error
in manifest or policy file D\I386\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTL.MAN on Line 11".
Maybe this can help to diagnose the hardware problem.
> Hi Will, In fact this all started about a year ago and I abandoned trying
> to setup XP and left the machine running ME. I am now back having a look
> at it again. Unfortunately the information provided with the laptop by
> Advent is very limited. Advent is actually a cheaper product from PC
> World, one of the big computer warehouses here in the UK. It is really a
> re-branded Asus PC and previously I have tried their website but no
> success.
> It is surprising that when I tried this F5 trick that XP installed
> completely but came up asking for a Log in password!! Obviously there is
> some kind of hardware problem with the original Laptop configuration which
> XP doesn't, who knows, maybe Advent overclocked the processor !! I will
> struggle on and report back. Any reports from other users of Advent or
> Asus PCs of similiar type would be useful
>> Hi
>>
>> That article seems to refer to a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 7840 computer.
>>
>> The installation could be specific to the Laptop. Doesn't the
>> documentation that came with it explain any error messages that might
>> occur? Have you tried leaving the password blank?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> "Bob Johnston" <bob.johnston@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> For me F8 is used for entering safe mode. I am not using a dell Pc,
>>> please read my first post regarding KB316526,
>>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

Hi

I haven't come across that particular error message before, but there may be
some info. here for you to work with:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=VCRTL.MAN&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wg