Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

My XP Pro CD is SP1a, so in order to perform a repair I have to uninstall
SP2. This I do in Safe Mode with my Broadband Router disconnected. When
uninstalled, I use the original CD to perform a repair. I then re-install
SP2 from CD.

This all works very well until I attempt to run IE6. It will NOT connect to
the Internet - I just get the 'Server not Found' error screen. Outlook sends
and receives emails, I can activate Help and Support and check for Updates,
but I'm then told it needs to check for Microsoft Software validity at which
point it tries to load IE6 and everything fails.

I'm then forced to perform a full Ghost 9 Restore of C: and, when complete,
everything works great - including IE6.

I've tried this twice now! Does anybody have any ideas as to what I'm doing
wrong or how to correct the situation, so I can repair XP Pro?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Dave wrote:

> My XP Pro CD is SP1a, so in order to perform a repair I have to uninstall
> SP2. This I do in Safe Mode with my Broadband Router disconnected. When
> uninstalled, I use the original CD to perform a repair. I then re-install
> SP2 from CD.
>
> This all works very well until I attempt to run IE6. It will NOT connect to
> the Internet - I just get the 'Server not Found' error screen. Outlook sends
> and receives emails, I can activate Help and Support and check for Updates,
> but I'm then told it needs to check for Microsoft Software validity at which
> point it tries to load IE6 and everything fails.
>
> I'm then forced to perform a full Ghost 9 Restore of C: and, when complete,
> everything works great - including IE6.
>
> I've tried this twice now! Does anybody have any ideas as to what I'm doing
> wrong or how to correct the situation, so I can repair XP Pro?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave

Instead of removing SP2 create an XP Pro installation CD slipstreamed
with SP2.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Dave wrote:
> My XP Pro CD is SP1a, so in order to perform a repair I have to uninstall
> SP2. This I do in Safe Mode with my Broadband Router disconnected. When
> uninstalled, I use the original CD to perform a repair. I then re-install
> SP2 from CD.
>
> This all works very well until I attempt to run IE6. It will NOT connect to
> the Internet - I just get the 'Server not Found' error screen. Outlook sends
> and receives emails, I can activate Help and Support and check for Updates,
> but I'm then told it needs to check for Microsoft Software validity at which
> point it tries to load IE6 and everything fails.
>
> I'm then forced to perform a full Ghost 9 Restore of C: and, when complete,
> everything works great - including IE6.
>
> I've tried this twice now! Does anybody have any ideas as to what I'm doing
> wrong or how to correct the situation, so I can repair XP Pro?

Instead of going through all those hoops, use Method 1 described in the
following article to create an integrated XP setup that includes SP2 so
you won't need to uninstall SP2 in order to do a repair install.

How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP
installation folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;900871
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

If you have any trouble in doing a "slipstream" manually, look at
Autostreamer. This useful utility will help you by creating an ISO image
that contains the revised "slipstreamed" CD. This is supposed to support
Windows 2000/XP and maybe 2003. I have sucessfully used it only with XP.

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>
>> My XP Pro CD is SP1a, so in order to perform a repair I have to uninstall
>> SP2. This I do in Safe Mode with my Broadband Router disconnected. When
>> uninstalled, I use the original CD to perform a repair. I then re-install
>> SP2 from CD.
>>
>> This all works very well until I attempt to run IE6. It will NOT connect
>> to the Internet - I just get the 'Server not Found' error screen. Outlook
>> sends and receives emails, I can activate Help and Support and check for
>> Updates, but I'm then told it needs to check for Microsoft Software
>> validity at which point it tries to load IE6 and everything fails.
>>
>> I'm then forced to perform a full Ghost 9 Restore of C: and, when
>> complete, everything works great - including IE6.
>>
>> I've tried this twice now! Does anybody have any ideas as to what I'm
>> doing wrong or how to correct the situation, so I can repair XP Pro?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Instead of removing SP2 create an XP Pro installation CD slipstreamed with
> SP2.
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I have had an identical experience, just last week. When Network Connection
Manager failed after installing SP2, I had no choice but to uninstall it.
And Network Connection Manager was back again.

My only handicap now - and a critical one at that - is that I do not have
the Windows Firewall any more. Is there a way to have the Firewall but not
the loss of Network Connection Manger with SP2?

P. Jayant

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried the Microsoft approach but
when I run c:\xpcd\i386\winnt32.exe I get the following error messages:

Error Reading information from netmap.inf
Setup cannot continue.

I then get the option to carry out a new installation; there is no upgrade
option provided.

Thanks again.

Dave

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:37:59 +0100, Dave wrote:

> Many thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried the Microsoft approach but
> when I run c:\xpcd\i386\winnt32.exe I get the following error messages:
>
> Error Reading information from netmap.inf
> Setup cannot continue.

> I then get the option to carry out a new installation; there is no upgrade
> option provided.
>
> Thanks again.

Was your original XP disk an OEM version? If so, it may have been
customized in a way that causes integrating SP2 to fail.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Yes! Original XP CD is OEM. No hope then?

Thanks anyway.