[SOLVED] Windows XP problem with USB extension cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheManicMan

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
Hi.. bit of an odd one but... I have an old XP machine I used for some stuff when XP is a good option. However, I'm currently having trouble with a USB extension cable. When i plug it in with a load (in this case, an external mni-Sata to USB converter with way too short a cable) it just comes up "Device not recognised".. but when i plug the cable without the extension, it works fine. When i plug it into another USB extension cable (which is longer) it works fine. When i plug the 'faulty' cable in to my win10 machine, it works fine. the XP machine is the only one i got which it doesn't like that cable. It's a very simple and pretty small-ish USB extension cable with four pins to four wires. I've checked it out and it's fine.. it works on other stuff too so... it's confusing the hell out of me. As it's just a simple extension cable, i can really see no reason why it should be creating stuff bother.

Any ideas?
thanks

Solution
Poor quality connectors
Poor quality/non standards compliant cabling
Degraded/poor quality crimping/soldering

Those are just a few of the reasons. It's not worth worrying about as there's nothing you can do about it. Just toss and move on.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I think some USB extension cables - typically longer ones - are implemented as a single-port hub. Plug it in by itself, and see what happens.

If there are other ports or hubs for your XP machine, try those as well.

It's also possible that your extension cable is not of the best quality, and degrading signals a bit too much for your XP machine's USB PHY but not others.

Last edited:

TheManicMan

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
well, It's not that long and I've tried it on it's own and doesn't recognise it nor not recognise it.. though I'll double check it.
i've tried a couple of other ports but they might be on the same connector, so i'll have to try another one.

might be degrading signal but it's.. just over a foot long so wouldn't have expected that might degrading for the short distance.. but possible

TheManicMan

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
Probably.. But the question of why it doesn't work still reminds.. I prefer to investigate and see about solving problems then just stick my head in the sand and hope it goes away.

Poor quality connectors
Poor quality/non standards compliant cabling
Degraded/poor quality crimping/soldering

Those are just a few of the reasons. It's not worth worrying about as there's nothing you can do about it. Just toss and move on.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.