Silent_Bob

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Just wondering if there are any advantages to actually using Windows XP Professional x64. I have heard it hurts performance in many games but as the future trend is moving towards more 64bit compatable apps I was wondering what the general consensus is on its future utility. The Rig I plan on building will be used for games, some video editing/conversion, and probably some folding in its downtime.

Thanks for any input/experience you have.

There's no speed advantage with xp 64 bit. I would recommend regular xp as it has more security updates. Service pack 3 is supposed to be released soon. I also tried 32 bit vista beta 2, but it's slower and ran my game choppy. It's needs more updates to run smoother.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
when i used windows xp 64 i didnt notice any increase/decrease in performance.
the only advantage is that u can run 64bit programs and game updates such as farcry64 and ut2004-64bit
who cares about the windows updates/security updates as they arent really needed

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You probably won't see any performance difference with x64. Software needs to be built to take advantage of it, of which I only know a couple of games such as the two listed in Giraffe's reply. You will see some speed improvement with video editing due to it being able to access memory 64 bits at a time, but your software is probably optimised for 32-bit.

The problem I have with x64 is driver support on newer hardware. x64 has alot of drivers for existing hardware, but manufacturers are spending their current developement time writing 64 bit drivers for Vista - rather than x64.

If you decide to "upgrade" to x64, make sure all of your components have drivers first. Especially your printer, scanner and sound. (Your chipset and video drivers will probably have a 64 bit version, but check first anyway.)

Also, check programs such as antivirus as some do not work, as well as some DVD "authoring" tools and backup software.

As far as updates go, Microsoft provides updates on x64 at the same time as xp. It's just that there aren't as many since not all of the security holes affect the 64 bit version. (In some ways, x64 is more related to Server 2003 than Xp.)

who cares about the windows updates/security updates as they arent really needed

I have to disagree. Security updates are an absolute necessity these days... especially with broadband connections becoming more and more commonplace. You're practically begging for something to happen if you don't keep Windows patched and up-to-date.

If anything, the Sasser epidemic should have taught everyone that. (At least I think it was Sasser). The patch was available a month before the worm hit... but because some people either shared your attitude on updates or simply didn't do them out of ignorance... it quickly spread and affected many more machines than it should have.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
well if ppl have a good firewall and antivirus then they wont be affected by worms such as sasser.
most programs work on x64 except most antiviruses and firewalls

i had no problems coz nod32 and zonealarm both support 64bit

i had no problems with drivers either

Your average user wouldn't even update their anti-virus if it didn't do it itself... so they are unlikely to know what a firewall is... let alone how it can help protect their computers.

Even people that knew better were affected by Sasser.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
yeah lots of ppl dont know
thats y sp2 come with a firewall turned on by default(even though its terribel) and it warns u when a/v is out of date.

if ppl dont know how 2 update their a/v then they probly dont know how 2 use windows update!