imabratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I reinstalled Windows xp because I was having issues with a recovery. The computer is up and running now but I had 3 user accounts. All of the info in the documents of the one have been misplaced or deleted, I cant find it anywhere. I accidently named that user account the exact same as it was prior to my reinstall. Can anyone please tell me if my files are still here? 19 gb of pictures and videos of my precious little girl are lost. Please help.

Do you have it set to show hidden and system files ?? -- the old user accounts will be hidden by default and will not show up unless you set the system to show hidden and system files -- as penguintech mentioned did you do a complete reinstall that included formatting the partition or a Repair install or secondary install leaving the old install n place as that would make a difference in trying to recover the old files !

imabratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

I didnt do a reformat, I only renamed my windows folder by the same name that it was before. I tried Recova and it didnt pull anything back up but I ran the program "Recover My Files" and they are there but in a total mess. I cant justify paying 70 dollars to activate the recover files program. Is there another program out there that is free and compares?

imabratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

I didnt do a reformat, just a reinstall. 2 of 3 folders contain their original items but the one that I renamed exactly the same is cleaned out. Sadly, that was the one that contained all the items I am looking for.

imabratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Everything is unhidden for me to view. Its so sad.

If you renamed the user to the same name, and it's not renamed in the Documents and Settings directory, you could have lost the files. Windows would have replaced the user directory with the new empty one.

There are lots of free undelete programs out there, Recuva is probably the best one, aside from trying another free one, you'll have to take a shot at a paid one and see if it can get the files back. Note that the program may find "possible" files to restore but may not be able to recover the files if it can only find the headers of the file but not the data of it.

imabratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

thank you, that is what I thought. In "recovery my files" it will give me the title but there is no preview available. I am so upset because its such a stupid move on my part and such a simple one. 7 years of files totally gone. Always complained how much time it would have taken to back up everything but geez, look at me now. Feel like such a failure.

imabratt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

a friend of mine is requesting the tower to try, do you think it is even worth the hassel?