Windows XP Repair installation fails to restart

G

My Win XP Sp3 would not complete any Security updates.

I tried loads of stuff I was advised to try BUT nothing was any good.
The next step was a repair installation to install any files my Win XP system was missing.
1. CD inserted & repair option selected, went through everything ok BUT then it came to the restart section, I clicked ok and....
2. Computer restarted "Detecting CD/HDD" etc, even listing them beautifully but shortly after showing the Windows XP screen, it switched off and began the restart again!
Restarted and repeated 1 and 2 above over and over.
I could only stop this cycle by holding the power button in!

I tried to re-install the repair installation, but this doesn't work because there is already an installation in progress...

OK, I held F8 and started Safe Mode BUT because the reinstallation was in progress, it exited Safe Mode and continured the Power On/Detect Hardware/Restart Windows XP/Power off and restart all over again!

My Win XP Sp3 would not complete any Security updates.

I tried loads of stuff I was advised to try BUT nothing was any good.
The next step was a repair installation to install any files my Win XP system was missing.
1. CD inserted & repair option selected, went through everything ok BUT then it came to the restart section, I clicked ok and....
2. Computer restarted "Detecting CD/HDD" etc, even listing them beautifully but shortly after showing the Windows XP screen, it switched off and began the restart again!
Restarted and repeated 1 and 2 above over and over.
I could only stop this cycle by holding the power button in!

I tried to re-install the repair installation, but this doesn't work because there is already an installation in progress...

OK, I held F8 and started Safe Mode BUT because the reinstallation was in progress, it exited Safe Mode and continured the Power On/Detect Hardware/Restart Windows XP/Power off and restart all over again!
Your CD is 1st in boot sequence (F2) ? If not, make it so.

The restart loop is caused by a "Setup entry" in boot.ini system file which has to be removed. If you slave the drive in another unit, you can edit the file and remove the entry. Or on a working computer obtain a Rescue CD which is bootable to non windows OS (Linux eg) to resolve.