Question Windows XP serious network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2019
Hi everybody. I am an IT guy I have fixed a lot of computer issues but this one is killing me I am trying to fix my girlfriend Old laptop Compaq Presario V2000 XP ver 2. I tried just about everything to connect to the Internet. I stopped focusing on Wi-Fi and concentrate on a LAN connection. When I right click and try to repair the network adapter. I get an error that it cannot communicate with the TCP/IP. I found on the Internet 2 solutions Fix winsock and Mesh. But I still cannot connect The adapter says it’s connected. But when I open Internet explorer I cannot get on the Internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you . André

Hi Andre.

Old laptops may actually have wifi adapters that dies. My wife have one old laptop model that having a dead network adapter, it says it have connection but never actualy successfully send or receive anything.

However - there are one pressing question. Why XP? There are very few programs that still support that OS - and it is completely not safe to connect it to internet.

There are so many better options if open the eyes to the Linux world. You may not get the wifi adapter to work, but it surely are safer than using XP.
For that particular model, you need to use a 32 bit OS, not many of those - but I suggest :
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" - Xfce (32-bit)
MX Linux
Personally I'm fan of Bodhi Linux because I'm somewhat addicted of the theme, but the menus may take some time go get familiar to when coming from windows world.
All of those mentioned above have fairly ok user forums, so if you're stuck you can resort to 🆒

Jun 4, 2019
Thank you for your reply. Why XP? It is very simple the computer is working perfectly. My career has been on windows and I don’t know much about Linux. If I can just get the Internet to work my girlfriend would be very happy and I know that consequently I will be very happy Too!

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Andre.... Along with thousands of other ppl, I have left IE behind because of all the problems connecting to "secure" sites...... (https).

Have you tried using a different browser, or payed attention to trying a regular HTTP site? Can you open a mail client or other internet app and connect?

Wolf

Jun 4, 2019
Thank you everybody for your input. I agree with everything including "A "real" IT guy would know this. ". I am retired, visiting my girlfriend, i could easily
buy her a new or used laptop but it was just for fun to see if I can fix it. And I just did. Simply installed Sp3 offline installation. She is happy and I am sure I'll be happy later today... lol

LOL, the problem with trying to help with problems is a lack of background information. Perhaps explaining the OS XP SP2, would have resulted in a call to upgrade to SP3; this is coming from someone with 2 functioning XP laptops and a window 7 PC, in addition to my Windows 10 PC.

Last edited:
Yes. With my Dell Latitude the light is inside the plug and with my Thinkpad there are some small leds to the right of the plug. This is from my Thinkpad.

ip.jpg

I was using firefox 37.0.2, but apparently 53 is supported so I'm checking it out. Looks like the updating stopped at 52.90. firefox also sent a message saying my browser is out of date, but this version is the last that supports my operating system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.