Question Windows XP Setup resets pc before starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
Hello guys, I've come across this weird issue when trying to install windows xp on my pc and I have no idea what could be causing it. This issue occurs on XP Home/Pro 32/64 bit.

This issue had come around because I had to replace the Sata HDD (which had failed) with a new drive which I chose a Sandisk 128gb ssd. I also changed my first ide dvd rom temporarily to a sata one of the same type as the disc tray wouldn't eject and I wanted to try and fix it.

My hardware is the Asus M3A Motherboard, Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Processor, geforce 6800gt and soundblaster audigy 4 in case you need to know.

The issue I am facing is that when trying to install it will sort of crash, with no bluescreen, and reset the pc. It will go through the beginning portion fine and I am able to install the AHCI driver before setup, but at the Welcome to Setup screen, as soon as I press enter, this reset happens.

I am not sure what my issue is here, I have thought that it might be the ssd, the sata dvdrom and the ide dvdrw not mixing well together or maybe both the ssd and dvdrom together but I do not really know, if you could give a second opinion and maybe help me pinpoint what the cause of this issue is it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello guys, I've come across this weird issue when trying to install windows xp on my pc and I have no idea what could be causing it. This issue occurs on XP Home/Pro 32/64 bit.

This issue had come around because I had to replace the Sata HDD (which had failed) with a new drive which I chose a Sandisk 128gb ssd. I also changed my first ide dvd rom temporarily to a sata one of the same type as the disc tray wouldn't eject and I wanted to try and fix it.

My hardware is the Asus M3A Motherboard, Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Processor, geforce 6800gt and soundblaster audigy 4 in case you need to know.

The issue I am facing is that when trying to install it will sort of crash, with no bluescreen, and reset the pc. It will go through the beginning portion fine and I am able to install the AHCI driver before setup, but at the Welcome to Setup screen, as soon as I press enter, this reset happens.

I am not sure what my issue is here, I have thought that it might be the ssd, the sata dvdrom and the ide dvdrw not mixing well together or maybe both the ssd and dvdrom together but I do not really know, if you could give a second opinion and maybe help me pinpoint what the cause of this issue is it would be greatly appreciated.
Ssds don't really play nicely with older hardware and generally take a little convincing to work together. Sometimes using the bare minimum helps CPU GPU single stick of ram and just te ssd plugged in at the time of install. Plug everything else in after words

USAFRet

Titan
Ssds don't really play nicely with older hardware and generally take a little convincing to work together. Sometimes using the bare minimum helps CPU GPU single stick of ram and just te ssd plugged in at the time of install. Plug everything else in after words
In addition, Win XP doesn't speak TRIM.
So that may cause issues down the road.

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019

I'll give this a go, just leaving the DVD drive and SSD plugged in.

Will update if it works 🙂

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
Unfortunately didn't get far with this method, did the same thing when I just had the SSD and a disc drive plugged in. Might have to find an old hard drive to put in it or just buy another hard drive, thanks for the help though 🙂

(Edit) Even with a different known working sata hard drive it still crashes like it does, whether the sata dvdrom is left unplugged or ide one. I'm really confused now, the original drive's death was unrelated as it made some strange noises but this is just weird

I have thought and maybe I should just install the os on a different computer first? I would have to use it in ide mode but might work out?

Last edited:

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
You did not describe this earlier, so could you please explain more on how you are attempting the XP install.

Is WindowsXP on a CD or other?
At which point are you installing the extra needed drivers? (F6 option only works with floppy disc).
Did you create a slipstream CD or thumb drive to add the drivers to the OS setup files?
Do you have the installation media set as the first boot device?

Thanks

Reactions: white.a.drew
Unfortunately didn't get far with this method, did the same thing when I just had the SSD and a disc drive plugged in. Might have to find an old hard drive to put in it or just buy another hard drive, thanks for the help though 🙂

(Edit) Even with a different known working sata hard drive it still crashes like it does, whether the sata dvdrom is left unplugged or ide one. I'm really confused now, the original drive's death was unrelated as it made some strange noises but this is just weird

I have thought and maybe I should just install the os on a different computer first? I would have to use it in ide mode but might work out?
You did not describe this earlier, so could you please explain more on how you are attempting the XP install.

At which point are you installing the extra needed drivers? (F6 option only works with floppy disc).
Did you create a slipstream CD or thumb drive to add the drivers to the OS setup files?

Thanks
On top of all of this have you verified the install drive/DVD is still good? Data can corrupt over time and at this point. Cause the issue you describe

A sata drive is a sata drive it doesn't matter if it is ssd or HD or a SD card made to look like a sata drive, you do loose trim but that's all, if it worked before with an sata drive it will work with any sata drive.

It could be that the old drive didn't just die by itself but the sata controller also was damaged.
Or it could be that you are loading the wrong drivers.
If the mobo is old enough it could also have a Gb limit and hang up on a disk that is too large.
What do you mean with ide mode?
Either you install on a ide drive or on a sata drive.

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019

Thanks

i am using a cd indeed, and drivers are on a diskette

disc drive is also the first boot device in bios :)

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
A sata drive is a sata drive it doesn't matter if it is ssd or HD or a SD card made to look like a sata drive, you do loose trim but that's all, if it worked before with an sata drive it will work with any sata drive.

It could be that the old drive didn't just die by itself but the sata controller also was damaged.
Or it could be that you are loading the wrong drivers.
If the mobo is old enough it could also have a Gb limit and hang up on a disk that is too large.

What do you mean with ide mode?
Either you install on a ide drive or on a sata drive.

the drivers were sourced directly from asus' download page for this motherboard so these drivers im sure are correct, and as for a GB limit if it was able to run fine with a 250gb boot drive and 500gb secondary drive it should not be an issue, this ssd i am trying to use is 128gb

though maybe the sata controller did go with the drive? seems like an odd failure to happen with the old hard drive though :unsure:

forgot to adress the ide mode thing, in the bios there is an option to change the controller to raid, ahci and ide mode
not sure what it does exactly but allows me on other computers with sata drives to install xp without having to install a sata driver as it can read the disk anyway

Reactions: white.a.drew
the drivers were sourced directly from asus' download page for this motherboard so these drivers im sure are correct, and as for a GB limit if it was able to run fine with a 250gb boot drive and 500gb secondary drive it should not be an issue, this ssd i am trying to use is 128gb

though maybe the sata controller did go with the drive? seems like an odd failure to happen with the old hard drive though :unsure:

forgot to adress the ide mode thing, in the bios there is an option to change the controller to raid, ahci and ide mode
not sure what it does exactly but allows me on other computers with sata drives to install xp without having to install a sata driver as it can read the disk anyway
Windows XP with 90% of their install software requires ide since it was made for such older system running ribbon wires, there have been a few times of installing XP that I didn't have to use ide, but I think all of these cases the Mobo it's self didn't even support ide mode

Reactions: himynameis21223
Status
Not open for further replies.