Windows XP SP1 and SP2 RC1 Zero Config Utility

Hello Everyone!

I would really like to get to the bottom of this:

I have a Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G and a Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G. Under XP Pro SP1 the Zero Config utility will often tell me that more that one wireless network is available. It will disconnect me from my current router and attempt to connect to this other wireless network. The other network is unsecured so I actually connected to it and now Windows switches back and forth between the two routers flawlessly. However, this is not ideal. I really don't want to be connecting to some other router that is not mine. So I removed the other router from my preferred list, but the disconnects are still frequent. It apparently still wants me to make a choice as to whether I want to connect to this other router. Why Windows drops the connection makes no sense to me.

I downloaded XP SP2 RC1 because it has a feature that you can set for each available network. You can specify if you want XP to attempt to connect to a particular network automatically. I of course told it that I did not want it to attempt to connect to this other network, however the disconnects are still happening.

I finally downloaded the Odyssey 3.0 Client Manager from Funk software. I configured it to connect to my router and I have not had a drop in my network connection in about two weeks.

So my question is this, what is wrong with XP Zero Config? Why does it drop the connection? Will GA SP2 fix this problem? I have read about a lot of other people having this problem. I hope that it is addressed.

Thanks for all the Help!

Dave

All these issues could be cleared up if the debug build of WZCSVC were available.
Debug trace can explain exactly what WZCSVC sees, and why it makes decision to switch.
But Microsoft refuses to give out debug build of newer, WPA-enabled WZCSVC before release of SP2.

Regards,
--PA

"Bractun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone!
>
> I would really like to get to the bottom of this:
>
> I have a Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G and a Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G. Under XP Pro SP1 the Zero Config utility
will often tell me that more that one wireless network is available. It will disconnect me from my current router and
attempt to connect to this other wireless network. The other network is unsecured so I actually connected to it and now
Windows switches back and forth between the two routers flawlessly. However, this is not ideal. I really don't want to
be connecting to some other router that is not mine. So I removed the other router from my preferred list, but the
disconnects are still frequent. It apparently still wants me to make a choice as to whether I want to connect to this
other router. Why Windows drops the connection makes no sense to me.

> I downloaded XP SP2 RC1 because it has a feature that you can set for each available network. You can specify if you
want XP to attempt to connect to a particular network automatically. I of course told it that I did not want it to
attempt to connect to this other network, however the disconnects are still happening.

> I finally downloaded the Odyssey 3.0 Client Manager from Funk software. I configured it to connect to my router and I
have not had a drop in my network connection in about two weeks.

> So my question is this, what is wrong with XP Zero Config? Why does it drop the connection? Will GA SP2 fix this
problem? I have read about a lot of other people having this problem. I hope that it is addressed.

> Thanks for all the Help!
>
> Dave

Is there an aprox date for the release of SP2?